Blue peter, sticky backed plastic and brown paper covers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Post by Amber »

Why was I the only one to spend a childhood watching Blue Peter, but never get my hands on sticky backed plastic?

But you weren't! Occasionally I was allowed an offcut of wallpaper in lieu, but more usually, nothing at all. My mother would just sneer about rich people who could afford sticky backed plastic. It probably explains a lot....Maybe we should start a support group for other individuals with the same tragic history?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

i always wanted split pins, all the good things needed split pins.........
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Plaster bandages!!! I always wanted to build the Monte Carlo rally Scalextric scenery that was in my BP annual but I wasn't allowed (might be something to do with me not having a Scalextric :wink: ).

Son has an RE project this holiday and I've persuaded him to go for the plaster bandage option, I've been able to spend hours in Hobbycraft buying fun stuff. Just need to elbow him aside now and slap in a corniche or two and some hairpin bends at the critical moment...

Mike
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my children made loads of stuff requiring split pins..............
doodles

Post by doodles »

Is this why I am obsessed with covering DS's school books with sticky back plastic and he looks at me as if I am a raving loony...... :lol:
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

doodles wrote:Is this why I am obsessed with covering DS's school books with sticky back plastic and he looks at me as if I am a raving loony...... :lol:

Sorry, OT.

You are every teacher's dream!

I now realise, having had kids of my own, that I never gave parents enough time to get the books covered. I apologise if I ever taught your child!

Can I send you my kids' books?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ooh with pleasure I love covering books :? Perhaps it was because I only had wrapping paper if I was lucky if not it was brown paper!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Ta, Doodles :D

I can feel a new thread starting ... what did you use to cover your books?

Wrapping paper or brown paper? What a luxury! When I was little we used newspaper or magazines (carefully scrutinised for inappropriate images) and we had to use stale rice to stick down the edges. (Spent 6 years in an Asian country with no parents and 11 cousins -any violins yet? :lol: )

Don't think I knew what sticky back plastic was till I was in my twenties! :cry:

Can't wait till DD is asked to cover some books as I have recenty acquired some flowery sticky back paper, although I'm pretty sure the novelty will have worn off after struggling to cover just one book.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Brown paper was a rare luxury, most of mine were covered in anaglypta off cuts.

Mike
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

You had wallpaper???? :shock: :shock:

My books were always the ones which just didn't get covered :cry: :cry:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now