Pupil power gone too far

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Post by Amber »

I would not be surprised if there are some resignations - after all one could say that they had bought the school into disrepute by there actions.

I bet it won't be those responsible who will resign though. If I were a governor, I would probably resign as Sally Anne mentioned - but not because it was my fault; rather, in protest that my position had been so undermined.

Maybe this will be a turning point?
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

I do not think DH would deam of putting up with pupils (Note : not "learners") having a say in his appointment. The lunatics have truly taken over the asylum!
The type of pupils who end up on the school council are the type of little prigs I would smother if they were mine!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Sadly, I think that would really limit your employment chances nowadays. Most schools either use the pupil council or more informal assessment by pupils in some form when appointing new staff, including head teachers.

You're right (on both counts). I now remember when there were interviews for Dep Head at my DC's primary the school council got to ask questions. I wonder if DS remembers - it was just over a year ago. Must ask him.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

I have faced student interview panels several times. The first time I did my best to impress the students and apparently, I did... but did not get the job. After that, when interviewed by a student panel I had a simple approach which basically amounted to a polite version of, "You do what I tell you to do"... guess what? Got the job.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Just watched last night's Waterloo Road. Not quite the same thing, I know, but I did have a good old chuckle at the mentoring storyline.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I know nothing of the school or the personalities involved. But, and maybe I am going to be unpopular for saying this, I am surprised at someone resigning because of some silly Facebook "campaign". However I have not read the content of it so just maybe it did warrant a resignation.

I would have thought that in most senior external appointments where an insider has been "acting up" and does not get the role, the new incumbent might have to run the gauntlet of some opposition for some time.

I'm not a Facebooker, I'd rather talk to people face to face, but I would have thought that it is just a more public way of people saying what they think that would otherwise have happened behind closed doors?

I thought that pupils had been in some way involved in staff appointments for a long time now, but I don't really think they have any power. It can just be useful for the staff and governors with the appointment power to have some kind of feedback on the impression the candidate makes upon a particular group of pupils that day.

I hope she gets another job easily in a friendlier school(!); but the poor woman will have some serious explaining to do. Appointing a head is a long and detailed process for all involved, and by the time the job is offered one would like to believe the candidate really wants the job.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now