Election debates: Will you be watching?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

bromley mum wrote:If its eye candy we need at 10 Downing Street I say bring on Mr Darcy!! :D
Agree bromley mum ,if it's the Colin Firth variety !

Although have just discovered he is a Libdem....so maybe not :(
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

Surely it must be possible to persuade David Tennant to stand for PM?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

DarkEnergy wrote:Surely it must be possible to persuade David Tennant to stand for PM?

Great idea ! :lol:
Sassie'sDad

Post by Sassie'sDad »

I am truly amazed that anyone is influenced by the guff given out during electioneering! I doubt I will be able to withstand the curiosity of watching but I am very wary as I feel the whole process, no matter from which party political stance, has more to do with Marketing and PR than anything else.
I think this election is going to be only the second time in four decades that I have voted for a rank outsider because I cannot stomach the posturing of the party I normally vote for! And we call this Democracy!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

This election feels like a game of cheat! Who can tell the biggest lie wins!

As far as I can tell, we are hundreds of Billions of pounds in debt and none of the main parties seem willing to admit that it has to be paid back at some point in the future. It will hurt all of us. Most of the plans I have seen for tackling the debt seem too little and too soft.

Whoever tells the biggest lie about tackling the debt will win. Irrelevant who gets in, there will have to be big tax rises and big spending cuts. Rant over!

I will be watching the debate with great interest, trying to spot the best liar (I mean prospective Prime Minister).

(If you want to know how to tackle debt, check out what Canada did!)
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

When's it on? Might be a good time to go to the supermarket if everyone else is watching. Empty aisles is a luxury usually only afforded when there's an England game on. Roll on the World Cup!

Already know how I'm voting this time so there's little point in watching.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

For the very first time in my life I could actually be persuaded...only because I despise dishonesty, and it seems to me that so many of these guys are cheats. Our incumbent is one of the ones resigning due to silly expenses and we live in a very safe seat, so it probably makes no difference how I vote, but I am always interested in political debate. This year though I have 2 teenagers eligible to vote (help I must be old :shock: ) - one cannot wait and is very interested, the other has absolutely no interest whatsoever. I am trying to persuade her to use her vote, but she is determined not to bother :shock:
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am trying to persuade her to use her vote, but she is determined not to bother
Yes, even the old suffragette/Apartheid arguments don't mean much in the face of the choice we've got now, do they?
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Cant wait, I know who I am voting for but my box has been set for a week now to make sure I dont miss it. Will it swing me, NO way. I just hope they arent going to just all try and be diplomatic with each other. Real cool debate is what I want and a real fight can help :wink: It reminds me of the Bush vs Elgore faceoff when Elgore looked like he could punch Bush.....bring it on! My vote will be based on who I can bear to see on TV for the next 4 years, as for policies argggrrrrr, are they really different?

Politics is just one big joke these days. Its becoming like a celebrity circus and not much based on substance. Look at Sarkozy, we are more interested in her model singer accentric wife then there is Obama :D :D :D . Australia is the one with some sort of intellectual PM but that just Australians. Now GB, is sure riding on the trends too and the fact we are having a first live debate just shows we dont want to be left behind the latest fads, we shall see.
Impossible is Nothing.
melinda

Post by melinda »

it's on now, I am listening not watching...I just wish they would all work together to make this country better - one party "in power" just doesn't work. :(
Nothing new will come of the debates - none of the questions are spontaneous - they all have their set replies.