Election Debate Number 2

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

My OH was mistaken for Tony Blair when we were staying in a hotel in Yorkshire BC (Before Children). I can't see it myself - but I suppose there are worse people to be mistaken for (Gordon Brown for example). Before we were finally challenged, there was a lot of 'it is!' it isn't!' whispering - and a couple of people said 'that doesn't look anything like his wife though!'. Very relieved to hear that, when we finally cottoned on to who we were meant to be!
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

doodles wrote: Just had another canvasser
Waste of time in your area Doodles, there is only one party there that wins, its the stronghold of the strongholds :roll:
Impossible is Nothing.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Some of my friends think OH looks and sounds like Mr Bean. I certainly cannot see it!!! :x
doodles

Post by doodles »

You are right sherry-d. One of the safest seats in the country I would think. Would be nice if there was a little more competition.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Had a memorable chemistry lesson at senior school (the labs at KEHS looked over Birmingham University).

Ted Heath (pm 70-74 for all you youngsters) was visiting the Barber instutute. When we heard he was about to appear we all shot to the window only to see him firmly hit with an egg by a student!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I agree about looks - it should not matter becuase it is their policies that are paramount. Although some could do with a little less airbrushing before they go on telly :lol:
Votomatic was a good idea, reinforced that I am who I think I am :lol:

Amber - how do you keep your secret? We end up having debate after debate in our house and no-one could not know how I intend to vote....unless you are like my mother who used to pretend to vote Labour until she was outed by my dad :lol: (We lived in Glasgow at the time, she was the only Tory in the constutuency :oops: )
doodles

Post by doodles »

I think I am just going to go and do my neatest colouring all over the ballot paper!!! And before anybody goes on at me about wasting my hard fought for right to vote or tells me women chained themselves to railings for me - I know, I know, I know, but I feel like exercising my democratic right not to vote. I am finding it very hard to believe in any of them.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Doodles - the important thing is turning up to vote.. you have every right to do as you wish when you get there!

I sometimes wish we had the right to "write in" as in the US .... put in the name of someone else you think would do a better job
Amber

Post by Amber »

Amber - how do you keep your secret? We end up having debate after debate in our house and no-one could not know how I intend to vote....
I don't know - I suppose because I teach, I am used to giving both sides of a story and I try to do this with my children. I always knew what my parents' politics were - first time went with them and then rebelled, took me a long time to work my own views out - and am determined not to influence my own children too directly. I try to be like this generally - over other issues too - eg religion, whether I like someone or not. Not saying I always succeed, but I do try. I hope they will reach the 'right' decisions by themselves, based on the morality I hope they are growing up with. Does that make sense?

OH said tonight that Gordon reminds him of Brezhnev now, which I thought was very apt. You are no doubt too young to remember...
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

unless you are like my mother who used to pretend to vote Labour until she was outed by my dad (We lived in Glasgow at the time, she was the only Tory in the constutuency )
Sounds like my grandmother. We call her "The Duchess" and she has delusions onf grandeur eventhough she lives on a beery income! :roll: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now