Sprained ankle advice/experiences please (ideally positive!)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
First-timer

Post by First-timer »

I missed the last few stairs and landed badly on my ankle/foot (was convinced I'd look down to see protruding bone) just before Christmas. It was two days before I could bear any weight on it at all and even then only very gingerly. It was so swollen it looked like a melon! Couldn't drive for a couple of weeks. Was stuck in trainers for ages as I couldn't fit my foot into any shoes/boots. It was only a month ago that it felt better enough to go back to the gym. Still gives me twinges occasionally but functionally back to normal four months on. Did the rest, ice and elevation part of RICE but didn't do the compression part - didn't have a bandage and couldn't get out to get one! DH was working when it happened and by the time he came home (several days later) he reckoned I would be better off without a bandage. Probably couldn't be bothered going to get me one... :wink:
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I must admit I've already read a play today: 'Memory of Water' which was very good.

It's reassuring too, to find that I'm not the only one here that has done such an idiotic thing :oops:
doodles

Post by doodles »

No you are not alone - and at least you weren't on the school CCTV face first down hill!

The RICE thing can be a bit boring but it really does work. The sun is out, there's a book to read and you have to do it for medical reasons!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Apparently the Duke of Edinburgh also has an ankle injury at the moment. So you're in good company!
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The RICE instructions are definately the thing to do.

However it is equally important to strengthen / re-educate your ankle once it starts to get better.
- make sure you can get full movement in all directions - compare to the other one!
- ensure your balance is as good on that leg as the other (otherwise you will be prone to doing it again). Standing on 1 leg with eyes closed, throwing/ catching ball whilst standing on that leg!

Have fun! and I hope it feels better soon.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

First-timer that's awful. Poor you. You've started me worrying again now, plus my ankle seems a bit sorer today but as my wise DS pointed out it could just be stiff as I've just hobbled up! The swelling's a bit reduced, but I must admit I had expected it to have gone by now. It was never like a melon though.

Thanks minesatea. I've googled and found some exercises, and been drawing letters of the alphabet with my foot (these 11+ mums!) although as with any home exercises when I get to the more advanced ones I always worry I may not be doing it correctly and will do more harm than good. At least that's my excuse :lol:
Floss

Post by Floss »

My daughter is 12 and suffers with sprained/strained knee and ankle regularly (she has muscle weakness in one leg) hers usually takes about 4 - 5 weeks before its healed. We do the RICE thing when it first happens, use a good support & take ibuprofen, when the pain has eased slightly she does some stretching excercises daily
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Well DS is now set to get the bus to school for the first time in his life. It seems to be a scary adventure and I feel really guilty, but if I'm to drive him to the school new parents night a week on Wednesday I want to give it chance to strengthen first.

Wondering if I should have gone to the doctor? Did others? I thought I'd wait and see if it sorted itself out. It's a lot less swollen and I can walk on it, with a limp, but it's sore across the top. a) Didn't want to go unnecessarily b) it's a problem getting there.

Your poor daughter Floss. Is good support something more than a Boots' tubular ankle bandage? :) The one hubby bought confused me a bit as it offered to heat the swollen part up, when I've spent the last few days icing it to cool it down and reduce blood flow.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

All I got from medical colleagues when I sprained my ankle were guffaws as being pregnant I was wobbling everywhere on crutches :roll: .
Had it x-rayed only because it was really mangled....

TBH the C bit is the least important as it really only duplicates the E but when you are walking on it ie squeezes the fluid upwards rather than the better way off letting it drain downwards under gravity.

Indications for X-ray are determined by the Ottawa rules (real brain block I kept thinking Montreal).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ottawa_ankle_rules
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks very much for your quick reply Hermanmunster. Your advice and the link are really helpful. I'm studying the link and learning lots of biology! Just wish I'd seen this when my hubby was at home to clarify the bones. Think I'll hold out a bit longer though if Xrays are relatively rare and not usually necessary.

PS For some reason from your name I always thought you were a man. Sorry!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now