Appeal from a jaded cook

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Milla

Post by Milla »

same here CM. You're right about the stirring - don't want it to get mushy. I think we all get stuck in a rut, need mike 1880 to trot along with his ideas.
Our kids are pretty good at eating most things since have always eaten together not done the kiddy meal thing unless we're going out. But, still, one doesn't like peppers, the other mushrooms, one shudders at eggs (we used to call omelettes fritattas when he decided he was "allergic" - yeah, right - to eggs, and he'd gobble them down under another name), the other will only eat cheese if melted (what's that all about??) so it can all become a bit tiresome and the options reduce.
If it's just me and OH we dive into an artichoke / blue cheese etc type fest, all the forbidden foods.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I like some meatballs they sell in Tesco and I just do those with Ragu saucy and spaghetti.

When I really want it to be fast. I do rice and corned beef :shock: or egg omlette and chips. What I cant bear is ready made foods you get from supermarkets, my pallette still cant get used to these. :cry:
Impossible is Nothing.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Milla, I am liking the pork thing but will do with chicken as pork doesn't like me!
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Freya

Post by Freya »

Hey - has anyone else discovered "sauceline"?

Very handy!!!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
Milla

Post by Milla »

no, tell us more! sounds like childline without the children.
Freya

Post by Freya »

LOL

it's magic sauce thickening fairy dust! No nasty floury taste and no spending ages trying to get the roux right. Just sprinkle some into your sauce and it comes out as thick as you want and lovely silky smooth. We discovered it in France and only recently managed to get it online in uk.

* I'm not connected to this company in any way!
Freya

Post by Freya »

Actually it might be spelt Saucelene ?? Like windowlene then??

Can't be bothered to check
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Milla wrote:need mike 1880 to trot along with his ideas.
I don't think there's anything I can add to what's already been said - fajitas, stir fries, pasta, risotto, frittata etc. Deffo get as many Jamie O books as you can find (esp. MoF and Jamie's Dinners). Don't know what the quality of supermarket recipe cards is like these days but we still use a lot of old ones from the orange supermarket in the 1990s when Delia was doing them.

Even hardened carnivores seem to cope with fish if it's spicy - fish doesn't need much marinading to pick up flavours so can be very quick - so fish kebabs, fish with chemoula, that kind of thing.

Pressure cookers are a godsend for really quick soup/casserole/pot roast/tagine type things - say 45 mins for a pot roast, 10 mins for soup. Pizza is easy if you have a bread machine.

Oops, got to go - emergency call from Master 1880 that no buses or something...

Mike
Milla

Post by Milla »

I bet if you google "quick suppers" or something you'll be inundated!
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Back now with tired irrational boy - "Week B" so double games...

Trouble is you'd be swamped and probably most of it would be rubbish. Quick suppers are always a challenge if you don't want chicken 4 nights a week...

A good book on pasta sauces would probably be worthwhile.

I like the sound of Sauceline - sort of dial-an-"oooh missus".

Mike
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now