A very proud mum!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

A very proud mum!!

Post by bromley mum »

I am feeling so very proud! DD was one of 8 out of 22 to finish the 2 day DofE Bronze award practise hike today. Her team was the only one not to get lost! Conditions were so atrocious that everyone except these 8 gave up. The leaders wanted to abandon it but DD and friends wanted to continue. DD's team was the youngest. The eight are all girls, the boys all quit!! I know that nowadays every one seems to be doing DofE but in our case it was worth it. DD gained lots of experience and was very good for her morale. Her team members said that it was her who kept them going. She is not very sporty so although she aches all over, she is verry happy and proud of herself. Sorry if this seem an OTT post but I am so happy for her that i wanted to shout from roof tops (posting here seems equivalent to that!!)
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

That's lovely BM! I think DofE is a great thing especially as kids who may not excel on the sports field or be at the very top of their class can be leaders in this field. Very ell done to DD and her team! :)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I would imagine that seeing your child so happy after such an achievement is one of the nicest feelings ever. Enjoy!

(And don't forget your recent achievement - organising the book club was no mean feat!)
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Thank you Tipsy and KS10.When I went to pick up DD I got chatting to the people who run the DofE in our area. One of the gentlemen asked me which school my DD attends. On learning that it was the GS in our area, he said he thought DofE was especially good for GS children. These DC are used to being good at academic stuff (from passing 11+ onwards), usually manage everythung themselves, are self reliant and expect to be perfect at everything. DofE makes them aware that they will come across things which they will find very hard and demanding. They will learn that they will have to rely on team mates in order to get through and that if they can't make it to the end (as so many didn't yesterday) then its alright. I thought this is so true. So, even if this award doesn't give her an edge in her Uni application atleast she has learnt a very important lesson.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My DD is doing this in a couple of weeks (also youngest in year, so have to wait 2 years before doing silver, by which time I hope she has gone off the idea!). We spent a fortune on the kit a week or so ago, even though we are quite an outdoorsy lot and have a lot of it anyway. Thought about sending HRH the bill!

Am concerned by your post that most children failed to finish. I was sort of assuming this was an easy peasy thing and I did not need to get into full worry mode re missing children/injuries/abduction/drowning/general woe and horror. Seems I was wrong!

Apparently only the gold has any currency with universities. Goddaughter currently doing it: has to spend around a month away in various inaccessible beauty spots this summer, thereby scuppering any plans the family might have had to do anything else. Her mother remarked that it is unfortunate that most of them do the gold before getting their driving licenses, thereby condemning the hapless parent to beating a path into the rural heartland of mid-Wales or northern Scotland to convey the young bravehearts to their chosen retreat, where they can prove their independence before being ferried home again in the family car.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

Amber wrote: Am concerned by your post that most children failed to finish. I was sort of assuming this was an easy peasy thing and I did not need to get into full worry mode re missing children/injuries/abduction/drowning/general woe and horror. Seems I was wrong!
This was the practice hike she did. The qualifying one is later on in the year. The leader did say that this was the worst ever weather they had for a Bronze one. I don't know about your area but here it was very cold and wet. So, don't worry. It can't be as horrid as it was this weekend.
KB

Post by KB »

Lots of D of E experience & never heard of anyone not finishing a Bronze hike so please don't worry.
D of E rules about safety & supervision are very strict - they might get 'lost' but only within a restricted area & they might get wet/cold/hungry but only to the extent of being uncomfortable - not to the point of being in danger.

Very suprised about parents having to transport DD - usually they travel from 'base' in a group either by mini-bus or train.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now