For those that don't want to vote

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
andyb

Post by andyb »

Snowdrops wrote:No, people who don't want to vote should NOT be ashamed of themselves.

They have the democratic right NOT to vote - if they voted on your (or anyone else's) say so it wouldn't then be a free and democratic vote now would it!

If you want to vote, then vote.

If you don't want to vote then don't vote.

But please, don't be bullied into voting, or who to vote for!

Imagine what it would be like being told you HAD to vote - we'll be being told WHO to vote for next!
This is the exact same argument I have just had with my mother. Her argument is that suffragettes died in order that women could vote - my counter argument is they were campaigning to give women the option to vote if they chose to rather than being told, by men, that their views didn't count and therefore they couldn't vote.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Snowdrops wrote:I'm all for doing our bit on the environment Tipsy - I really think the demise of the plastic carrier bag has been wonderful
me too but (off topic i know but i'll be quick) i think the supermarkets are so hypocrytical using plastic bags galore for fruit and veg and masses of packaging for everything else. Come back paper bags!
WP

Post by WP »

KB wrote:Do the Australians have a 'none of the above' option - or are there lots of spoiled ballot papers?
Since you're alone in the ballot box, you can write whatever you like, or nothing at all. According to Australian Electoral Commission figures, at the last election there was a 95% turnout and 4% of votes were invalid. (If you don't vote and can't explain yourself, you get fined.) For comparison, at the last UK general election the turnout was 61% with 0.3% spoilt ballots. Then again Australians have to write numbers on their ballot papers. (They use AV for the lower house and STV for the upper house.)
guest201

Post by guest201 »

When it comes to chosing a school for your DCs most, if not all people on this forum are very active and want to have their say, you wouldnt not put any choices on your CAF form and leave it to others to decide which school your children went to. so why would you not put a choice on a ballot paper to decide who is going to run the country, even if the party you vote for doesnt win at least you know that you have done your bit.
Also the old argument that all the parties are rubbish is, in my opinion, a cop out, in that situation your option is to choose the best of a bad bunch!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Those that opt not to vote may well be the most liberal thinkers and yet by not voting a less liberal party has more chance of coming into power and striping away those liberal rights.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I cannot understand not voting, but I understand the argument that forcing someone to vote is undemocratic. I just think that if you have voted then at least you are entitled to your view about whoever ends up in no. 10, if you don't vote, well you can't really complain, can you ?