Good second instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks everyone; you've been very helpful already and have raised lots of points that would never nave entered my head eg buses, teeth, braces, neigbours, what bands they actually have at the school! I'm not sure whether you can hire instruments or not at the school. It's a co-ed grammar btw. A clarinet sounded a good idea as my husband used to play one and we have one lying around somewhere, but when we suggested it DS wasn't very enthusiastic (typical :roll:) so that's no good.
I agree with whoever said they couldn't stand listening to a violin. The trumpet woulddrive me mad too. I actually like listening to him tinkling away on the piano, especially when it's a new composition.
DS is not a confident child and certainly wouldn't want to stand out so maybe not the bassoon?! :) I think something he could play in a group would be ideal. When he started with the recorder they played Chariots of Fire at a leavers' assembly and it was much less stress than a solo (for me too
The flute sounds a nice idea, but think he's going for brass. I would love the sax, but he's got to choose! :lol:
Sorry Doodles our posts clashed- not too expensive eh, it's beginning to sound better already :wink:
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sounds like a flute boy to me! 8)
doodles

Post by doodles »

Does school not offer "tasters"? We were allowed to "borrow" a school trumpet for 6 months before committing to buying one. Was very pleased as didn't want to spend £300 for it to be a short lived fad.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Amber

Post by Amber »

The flute or piccolo, definitely.

I say this as someone whose kids play trombone, double bass and percussion. They are all heavy and bulky and don't fit easily in the car. I dream of small instruments.
Sigh.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

:lol: Amber.

I don't know Doodles, will need to ask. It sounds like a good idea. Edit: no, I've just reread the letter, "We cannot supply instruments. We ask that the recipient of the tuition regularly attend rehearsals of the school orchestra and groups."
Perhaps I should just put out feelers for a musical instrument on freecycle and take it from there? :lol:
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I have also been wondering about this - any opinions on clarinet or oboe? I know little about instruments, dc is musical, plays piano well , but which to chose?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Slightly more serious reply:
DD plays violin too (as well as Double B) and it is lovely: we didn't have the horrid screechy phase. My late father offered (I would hate to use the word 'threatened') to leave home when I took it up though, so I realise it's not for everyone.

Very surprised if you can't hire something through county music department.

What does DS himself want to do? My DS went to a brass concert and just fell in love with it all and pestered us till we let him play. Started with trumpet and moved on to trombone, so does a bit of both still.

The piano is a hard first instrument though, and Grade 1 harder than on all others, so might be best just to let him sort that one out first. My DD got a distinction at Grade 1 piano and then announced she never wanted to play it again - and she hasn't!

PS oboe - very mournful and sad. Just listen to Peter and the Wolf!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I love the violin, screech or no screech. Both DC play violin and I've loved every dodgy note they've ever played. I haven't a musical bone in my body btw so that might have something to do with it.
Gman

Post by Gman »

Daughter learning the basssoon through the local music service. Fortunately they hire out instruments at a nominal fee pa otherwise I could not afford this.

You should note the size and weight of a bassoon. They are hefty to lug around, and if your son is taking it to school he will be weighted down with this and his school bags.

A great plus though is that he will always be invited to join ensembles, in school and the local youth orchestras. There are very few bassoonists about.

Having passed the first 6 months of learning, I can now recognise the odd tune. If your son loves loud horn noises, then go with the bassoon.
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

I'm another one saying don't write off the violin.

I always said "over my dead body" - can't stand the things and we live in a tiny 1970s house so I thought it would be like living in a cats' home, but Miss 1880 has just started learning and I have to say it's not at all bad, it's certainly not as loud as her recorder yet. I would stay well away from brass or percussion though.

Mike
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now