Good second instrument?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Yes, we have one at home. I think it's important as he has to practise. Initially we used a keyboard, but when it became clear that he was going to continue with it we bought a second hand piano as obviously it's different and a keyboard was teaching him bad habits. :oops:
At some stage we might even get him a piano stool too :lol:
We've got lovely neighbours (he hasn't started the cornet yet!) who say they can only hear him playing when they're in the garden and that it's lovely to listen to him. We impose strict limits on when he can play eg after 8.30am and not after 7.30-8pm.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

The cheapest used one I found was about £450 and I dont think my neighbours will be very pleased with the noise.
It may be slightly more expensive but we went down the electric piano route for DS. He is now grade 2 and we have been told it will be fine until at least grade 6. The advantage is no tuning required, volume control and a headphones socket. The transfer between it and the grand he plays on at school does not seem to be a problem.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We have done the same - and again, no problem transferring between home piano and teacher's piano :D

Our neighbours are thrilled to hear dd playing and thought we'd gone all posh listening to classical radio :lol: :lol:

It's great at Christmas when dd plays all the carols, everyone loves it (or so they say :shock: :lol: :lol: ).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Snowdrops wrote:We have done the same - and again, no problem transferring between home piano and teacher's piano :D

Our neighbours are thrilled to hear dd playing and thought we'd gone all posh listening to classical radio :lol: :lol:

It's great at Christmas when dd plays all the carols, everyone loves it (or so they say :shock: :lol: :lol: ).
the reception has not been the same for Master Yoyo's drumming..
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:shock: :(
Amber

Post by Amber »

yoyo123 wrote:
Snowdrops wrote:We have done the same - and again, no problem transferring between home piano and teacher's piano :D

the reception has not been the same for Master Yoyo's drumming..
Our DS's drum kit is in the loft. He is a very enthusiastic player and we do think one day he might literally raise the roof. Stops the sparrows nesting in the gutters though (ever seen a sparrow propelled backwards by the force of a crash on the high hat? Tickets on sale soon).
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

hmmmmmm, I did forget to mention the growling from BB (big brother) when he comes for Sunday lunch and she practices whilst he's feeling errrr, 'tender' :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now