Anthony Little - assisted places scheme

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gman

Post by Gman »

Midget Man, I disagree. They choose the job, they get paid, they know the risk. And they get paid very well.

Let us not turn the armed forces into some sentimental topic. Most service personnell do not do the amount of moves highlighted. With many of the overseas postings unaccompanied, the children do not need to move schools.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

oooo service personnel, I could talk all day about life in the services, having 'served' 40 years as daughter and wife.

First off, agreed GMan, most service personnel do not undertake the number of moves quoted - but a lot do.

But, there are not a great number of unaccompanied postings whereby the family stays behind. Perhaps you are getting theses confused with short term (say 6 month) secondments where the family stays behind and the soldier/sailor/RAF personnel then returns home? In fact we had to ask for special permission for me to stay behind with my children when my then husband got posted abroad, dd has severe learning difficulties and they couldn't accommodate her needs.

We as a family had the average length of postings (every three years) and I managed to go to 7 schools across my education - not exorbitantly high, but enough to disrupt it and not follow the same curriculum each move, hence huge chunks of knowledge missing (or maybe it's just me :shock: :lol: ). Good enough reason I think for anyone to want to put their child into boarding school.

Lets not turn this into any sort of a topic, we can all bash other forms of employment when they start whinging they don't get this, they don't get that, it's not fair sob, sob, sob. We can all complain about things (and some more than others :shock: :lol: )
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

I don’t have any personal connection with the Services, nor any family member serving, but I agree with everything Snowdrops has said.

Gman, surely the difference with people in the Armed Forces is that they don’t get any choice in when or where they are moving to? People in other jobs get the opportunity to weigh up all the pros and cons, decide whether it would be a good move for their family, look at houses and schools in the area etc before they make a decision. Services postings don’t normally come with much notice, and you don’t get much opportunity to say ‘no’ :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now