Primary

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

By the time he gets to Year 9 he won't even look at you - you'll be longing for that withering glance.
Milla

Post by Milla »

NO!!! Don't!!! Actually, I was complimented by a mother of a girl on Tuesday for him still holding my hand as we walk up. I've said that that's very much part of the deal.
Frustratedmum

Post by Frustratedmum »

I get very much the same from all my 3 DC's, 'I can't remember, can I play out tonight please', but they have no trouble remembering a small fall on the playground that results in a most minute graze not visible to the naked eye, or how 'I couldn't eat my apple today cause it fell out of its pot'!!!!
Ahhh children :wink:
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

By the end of year 13, we have moved on from stuff, can't remember, and grunting to a vehement, 'like it's any of your business ' :roll:
Then I start chatting about how university accomodation fees cost more than total loan given to self funding student, and I get ' well it's not too bad, I'm a bit worried about Chemistry though' .
And finally we very nearly have an adult at the end of 13 years of school :lol:
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Looks like I'm the only one who gets, after asking DD2 (8yo),

"What did you do at school?"

"Well, I said goodbye to you and daddy, then I went in to class, and I sat next to x, then I read a story, it was story about blah, or was it blah blah? no it was definitely thingy. Then we sat on the carpet and we did some sums on the whiteboard, I had my hand up 8 times, or was it 9? no it was 8.......I think but I only got to answer 2, but I got them both right, and then it was playtime and I played with x and y and z but not a coz she said blah blah blah, and then we did some literacy and I had to write a story about blah blah blah (5 minutes later) and then it was lunch time and I had meat and potatoes but I didn't eat the potatoes but I did have all my meat and I had orange juice for my drink and a biscuit with icing on for my pudding and then we went out to play and I played with a, b and c and then we did PE and we played rounders and I hit the ball 3 times and I almost caught it, and then we got changed and I couldn't find one of my socks but then I found it coz it had got stuck in my shoe and then you came to pick me up please can x come home for tea"

All said in one breath at top speed :roll: :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
mystery

Post by mystery »

I asked one of my children after first day of nursery school at age 2.5 years what it was like, what she had done. The answer was "I'm not supposed to tell you".

That is the clearest explanation I ever received, it went downhill from there and a policy of not asking was the safest option.

Now with the same child at just age 6, and only if curiosity really gets the better of me, on rare occasions I venture to ask "was it a good day?". The answer is generally yes, with one exception when amazingly I was given a reason - she was too late finishing her main course to get a pudding. I bet she says "yes" most times so as not to get a supplementary question about what was wrong if she said no.

She does tell me things sometimes about what the "stuff" is - but it's usually several months or even years later, and not in connection with any question I might have asked.

I wonder whether I was asked about school as a child, and what I would have said. I really can't remember!

And I don't find the teachers much more forthcoming either!!
999 mum

Re: Primary

Post by 999 mum »

Hi Dawn,

I hope you have managed to resolve your issues with the plonker head.
Dawn

Re: Primary

Post by Dawn »

I went to see him the day after the school had been visited by ofsted. I explained that I didn't think DD was being stretched enough and he found it amusing that ofsted had made the exact same comment (not specifically about DD, about the more able children generally). He promised that mechanisms would now be put into place to deal with the problem. DD spent the day at the prep school and loved it, we are going to spend half term making the final decision!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now