Primary

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Post by Amber »

First-timer wrote:It's ok Amber, I saw it too - you're not going mad!
My paranoia is getting me so thanks for this. I swear the last sentence of one of my posts on another thread has been chopped too - have you seen it anywhere?
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Amber wrote: am I going mad(der)?
yes definitely :wink:
No I did post that really....then I thought someone is bound to pop up and tell me I am wrong for feeling guilty...which I do :( and they did. :lol:

I suppose I am just comparing what I could do when I worked less, like lots of board games, nature walks, art and craft etc etc.I do little of that now because even when I am home, I am working at home or seeing to the other two.I do feel she misses out.No sibling near her age either, or cousin etc. Hence I would pay 15 - 20 quid for Mary Poppins to come around in an ideal world :D
See now I sound like I am being self pitying :oops: ...and I'm not really. :D She is healthy and happy.I know its all just motherly guilt which is probably quite pathetic and why I removed my post....unfortunately someone quoted it... :lol:
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

I do find the fact that you are tutoring in yr 5 in prep for 11+ a bit surprising. I think for some reason these days parents feel the need to get ahead - but to what end, send them to uni 2/3 yrs early when they may be able to cope with the work but they'd be 'socially' the odd one out. Am not saying you're thinking of this but a yr 4 child shouldn't need extra tutoring, unless the basics are not being covered.

If DC is bright then books, science kits, clubs, enrichment should be enough - if your DC is truly gifted then that is another matter as such children often struggle to relate to their peers and so don't fit and are so far ahead intellectually that educationally they don't fit and local authorities struggle to provide adequate teaching here - but would 1 hour of tutoring the next yr's work help here? Unlikely.
MY DC was often bored at primary school but that's not to say DC wanted extra 'work' work. The format of school was pretty dull in a class teaching to a wide range of abilities. Now at grammar DC is much happier.
KB

Post by KB »

I think there are two different questions here-

If DD would otherwise be happy at school then get the tutor to cut right back on work that will be done in school & look at stretching her in other ways.In about 10 months you can review whether DD needs to push ahead to prepare for the selection test.

If your state school isn't providing enrichment for a naturally very bright child then I would recommend switching to fee paying.
The smaller class sizes & generally high parental expectations usually result in the children receiving more targetted teaching & the pace is quicker, as well as there being a greater range of activities.
Do check that the indie is actually going to deliver though:)

I am a great believer in having children in their local primary school & we held off moving one of our DCs to the private sector when really we knew it was the best option. When we finally took the plunge he was a changed child. The friends issue can be tricky but lots of children move primary schools for various reasons & they normally adapt pretty quickly.
Maybe there are activies like Brownies, dancing etc where DD can still see some of her friends?
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

DD hasn't really been happy in school for the last two years. We have had discussions with the school and they are aware that she needs additional enrichment and stimulation but they just don't seem to have the resources or willingness to do what is necessary. She is happy at school socially, but that is it. She is not a high maintenance child and isn't the type to demand attention, but I do get the impression that the she is doing more for the school than they are for her at the moment. The teacher told me last year that they didn't want to lose her because she was guaranteed all level 5's in Year 6!!!

Time will tell.... I will see what the Head says and see how the 'taster' day goes.

The tutoring that DD has is not intensive, 1 hour per week and rarely any homework. They do not spend the hour doing papers, they discuss topics, how to approach problems etc. It is very relaxed with lots of laughter and DD really enjoys it.
KB

Post by KB »

Hope the taster day goes well & you are able to make the right decision for your DD after that.

Best wishes.
Amber

Post by Amber »

No I did post that really....then I thought someone is bound to pop up and tell me I am wrong for feeling guilty...which I do and they did.
Yup! You see you know it is wrong to feel guilty. She wouldn't be any happier! You know that! Go and pour yourself a glass of wine and don't beat yourself up - a much better use of rather less than 20 quid. :wink:
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

Dawn wrote: Time will tell.... I will see what the Head says and see how the 'taster' day goes.

The tutoring that DD has is not intensive, 1 hour per week and rarely any homework. They do not spend the hour doing papers, they discuss topics, how to approach problems etc. It is very relaxed with lots of laughter and DD really enjoys it.
I think you already know what's right for your DD and sound v relaxed re her work. Follow your instincts. :)
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Amber wrote: Go and pour yourself a glass of wine and don't beat yourself up - a much better use of rather less than 20 quid. :wink:
Don't encourage me, I have some in the Fridge :oops: ...... :lol:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Now that's a much better money spent, drink all you like CM and enjoy it :)