G&T register - Do I have the right to know?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

T12ACY wrote:
mitasol wrote:

DS1 also said NAGTY was for geeks but by being a member he has had sports coaching which he loved. Always chucked the magazine away without even looking at it! Being clever hasn't made him a geek, a smart @r5e but not a geek!
Agree with you, but you know how kids talk. DD v clever but tries not to appear so - though less so these days thankfully. DS was on G&T list for sports and that was the last he/we anyone heard of it. Thing is he didn't need any more coaching as did/does lots of sport but families without our resources/who also slipped through net of football/rugby/cricket etc scouts/coaches could have benefited. Like your clever way round the semi-expletive :lol:
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

Lol - it is true though!
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

The G&T list does have its positives. Nowadays it is changing and G&T are starting to be considered as being on the SEN register as they have special needs but different to the usual SEN. If G&T is to continue, then it needs an absolute measure, rather than an internal comparison.

I once worked in an "interesting" school, where the G&T were good in comparison with peers, but only getting C grades at GCSE! I need a new definition for interesting.
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

To be honest though the sentiment that the most able children in each environment should be given extra work or singled out to be pushed to reach their full petential is a good thing. If it were an absolute measure across the population then you would have all these resources pumped into already advanteged children in grammar schools and very little left over once again for those who need it the most.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

The point of the G&T register was to identify the children who needed extra work and enrichment. I was Senco and G&T person as it meant I could oversee differentiation at both ends of the bell curve. It was a good idea in theory as there was a tendency to think top children were OK as they got 10/10 every week..instead of pushing them. In practice it didn;t have much impact unfortunately.
DarkEnergy

Post by DarkEnergy »

To be honest though the sentiment that the most able children in each environment should be given extra work or singled out to be pushed to reach their full petential is a good thing. If it were an absolute measure across the population then you would have all these resources pumped into already advanteged children in grammar schools and very little left over once again for those who need it the most.
---------------

At the moment money goes to "bad" schools. Find a failing school, close it down, reopen as an academy and throw millions of pounds at it. Therefore, successful schools have less money to share around. hmmmmm?
DEATH rides a white horse named Binky
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

DarkEnergy wrote: At the moment money goes to "bad" schools. Find a failing school, close it down, reopen as an academy and throw millions of pounds at it. Therefore, successful schools have less money to share around. hmmmmm?
Whole different argument, really. Money not all government sourced for these academies, so I don't think if there is any money available (and I'm not sure there is any more, anyway) for G&T pupils, it comes from the same pot
mystery

Post by mystery »

To author of OP:

As well as asking your primary school if your child was on it, I would be asking the grammar school to what use they put this information as top 10% of each primary school is so variable. Then when you know what they use it for, you might be able to supply them with some other information which would more useful to them!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now