The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Freya

Re: The time has finally come S-E-X Education

Post by Freya »

I think they are trying to emphasize the loving and positive side over what can happen to teens which is feeling pressurised / manipulated or doing it because everyone else is etc. If you are feeling scared, pressured, dirty etc then it can't be right as it's supposed to be a happy, positive expression of love. I would hope that along with that approach they emphasize 'stable, adult type relationship' though.
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

sherry_d wrote: Thats what I wanted too but really this isnt information more of someone's opinion on s-e-x. Things like "it should make you happy and wonderful with each other" or its sometimes a way of showing you love each other. I find that ditasteful. What I thought was it would be something factual not opinions on how wonderful it is and all the other nonsense. Was it really necessary to repeat over and over that it is so much fun?
It is difficult Sherry'd and my answer is I don't know. I think the high pregnancy rates in this country are also to do with parenting/split homes/lack of information/lack of discipline/lack of moral values and all on a very basic level. So is the dvd somehow trying to approach the problem from another angle - I haven't seen it but I'd have thought much thought has gone into it.
Thing is though i'm not sure our DCs will remember as much as the adults on viewing the dvd - think back to your sex education - basic, a few pictures, sniggering - I don't actually remember the detail at all from the lessons. Our DCs will however learn from what we as parents tell them, and not forgetting what their friends tell them (that's the really scary bit)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think that people who have DCs of both sexes are at a huge advantage when it comes to s education. My DD asked me not long after her little brother was born, 'what are testicles for, anyway?' and we have had similar questions (and answers) on both sides ever since.

I do think that children need to be taught early though - in most Year 5 classes now there will be one girl with periods, and by Year 6 obviously several more. One of the worst things I witnessed was in my first teaching job, a young girl starting her periods at school and having absolutely no idea what had happened to her. Though I was teaching Reception at the time, I was drafted in to talk to her as I was the youngest female member of staff. Poor kid was terrified.

OT - what has happened to the forum? It looks pretty in some ways but I am getting funny characters instead of apostrophes and speech marks. I hope that it has not been made Mac-incompatible? And why do we have to have the 's' word changed to 'gender'? I think we are all over 18.
katel

Post by katel »

And what is the relevance of it being "interracial"?
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

sherry_d wrote:
Cats12 wrote:Have always been open on the subject and do believe information is key.
Thats what I wanted too but really this isnt information more of someone's opinion on s-e-x. Things like "it should make you happy and wonderful with each other" or its sometimes a way of showing you love each other. I find that ditasteful. ?

Are you sure it is this very video thats to be shown at your daughters school? They may have another or just a talk - have you checked ? :)
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

To remove doubt I will ask the school Tiredmum. It maybe something different as you point out.
Impossible is Nothing.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

O.K nearly didn't comment and now am going to and risk the onslaught!
I have a particular (Christian) view of the place/purpose of s- e- x.
However I do not take for granted that my children will share that view as they approach adulthood.Whatever they hear in school, should not be, in my opinion, the first they hear.Parents should have already put it in the moral context they feel is appropriate.The rest is up to them as they get older, and we will love them , regardless of the choices they may make.
All you can do is prepare them for the talk in the context of your family values and inform them of the medical implications and ...one day, they will make their own choices and we must love them and support them.
Talk to them about your values and love them whatever they decide. :D
mother night

Post by mother night »

Katel quoted:
And what is the relevance of it being "interracial"?[/quote][/quote

I thought I was the only one who'd noticed this -have we miss- read it?
I can understand reservations regarding this subject but our DD was shown the video in Yr5. As we had been very open and discussed things candidly as she raised issues I wasn't worried... until she told me that they were going to be shown a video of a birth. Working in healthcare I know that this can be quite disturbing for adults... 10yr olds?? However, she saw it, wasn't concerned about it- although she ( she's now yr6) did ask me tonight if it's OK to request a C section as it looks like giving birth hurts- mmmmm.

MN
katel

Post by katel »

"It also seems interacial, its just a vile sickening video yet its only 1minute of a 15minute video thats on utube....arggrr...."

Still haven't had an explanation as to why the fact that it is interracial is of any significance at all.

Children need to be armed with facts. By the time they reach year 6 they will have heard all sorts of stuff about s e x from their peers, from TV, from magazines - the list is endless. They SHOULD have had a sensible ad full explanation from their parents, and if they have, this video will not tell them ab=nything they don't know already. If they haven't, this video will tell them what they need to know in an accsssible and entertaining way. We are talking about children not far from Secondary school - they will come into contact with ideas and influences that you don't like - they are best protected by knowledge.
Fluffy66

Post by Fluffy66 »

My DS is year 6 so had these lessons last year. We live in Kent Sherry-d (don't know if its different in each school) and as parents were invited to watch the videos first. There was absolutly nothing about s e x and giving birth it was all about the changes of their bodies during puberty. Boys and girls were separated but they both groups watched both videos.