Grammar schools and academy status?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Marylou

Grammar schools and academy status?

Post by Marylou »

Does anyone know how the current academy status plans will affect grammar schools? Will these schools be allowed to retain their selective status if they become academies? I can see some advantages in being allowed to break away from some of the more ridiculous local authority dictates without having to become foundation schools, however the cynic in me has a sneaking suspicion that accepting the government's kind offer could have strings attached in terms of admissions policy... :?
Marylou
andyb

Re: Grammar schools and academy status?

Post by andyb »

Hmmm, this thought crossed my mind too. DS1 is already at GS and I would love for DS2 to go there too. My worst nightmare would be if the school chose to go back to admissions based on 11+ score. I am fairly confident that DS2 could pass the test but I am certain that he would not get anywhere near the maximum - those scores are (IMO) reserved for the exceptionally gifted and those whose parents can afford intensive tutoring.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Information on academies will be available on the DfE site later this afternoon
Schools rated outstanding will be invited to fast-track into academies.

My understanding is that currently academies can not be fully selective.

I can see a nasty catch-22 situation. :twisted: :twisted:
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

stevew61 wrote:
Information on academies will be available on the DfE site later this afternoon
Schools rated outstanding will be invited to fast-track into academies.

My understanding is that currently academies can not be fully selective.

I can see a nasty catch-22 situation. :twisted: :twisted:
Yes, I agree - they would have as much freedom as they like, but the ultimate freedom would be taken away...
Marylou
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

stevew61 wrote:My understanding is that currently academies can not be fully selective.
That is what I thought too but Pate's seem to imply they will remain a Grammar even with academy status. Although no real information has been provided. :roll:

http://www.pates.gloucs.sch.uk/newslett ... 0MAY10.pdf
from Pate's newsletter wrote:A new Education Bill is expected shortly and we have been advised that we may expect to
get pre-approval to be awarded Academy status from 1st September 2010. It is unclear what
that might mean as the Bill is not yet published but the indications are that we would be an
autonomous state school enjoying far greater freedom from central control. We would
remain a free grammar school, of course. As details emerge, I would welcome your
feedback on this opportunity.
Last edited by mitasol on Wed May 26, 2010 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magwich2

Post by magwich2 »

It states on the dept for education website that there will be no expansion of selection but that existing grammar schools can retain their current selective admissions policies.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I'm hoping that this new arrangement might enable voluntary-controlled grammar schools in Bucks to escape the stranglehold of ridiculous LA rules and regulations without having to apply for foundation status. The one I'm particularly interested in is the restriction of sibling status for admission purposes to siblings in Y7-11 thus excluding 6th formers. Schools with foundation status are not bound by this rule. It was the reason we had to go to appeal last year, and I know of at least one other case this year where an applicant who would otherwise have had priority because of an older sibling has been disadvantaged by the sibling being a member of the 6th form. :evil: I know this sounds as though we have an axe to grind, but the fact remains that we could be affected by it again in the future... :(
Marylou
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

What I dont understand is how would the admission be administered if they are now outside LA control? I am just scared that some schools may adopt admission policies much worse than the current one.

School dont remain outstanding in 2007 - 2008 they were about 15% outstanding and I notice now there are about 8% so what measures and guarantees are there that these schools would remain outstanding if there are given more autonomy?

I am all for choice and love this idea but its the nitty gritty I am worried about.

If these schools and new academies are going to be run by motivated parents, how is that going to improve social mobility or would the other parents just get put off. On newsnite yesterday there is a guy who campaigns for free schools in London. He arranged a very informal meeting in a local pub hoping all parents would come and not one from the bottom group they were targetting turned up. My gut feeling is these new academies are just going to be another group of selectives schools without the word grammar. They will not select on ability but perhaps on how motivated the parents are. I just hope I am wrong, we need to see more details.
Impossible is Nothing.
zee

Post by zee »

sherry_d wrote:What I dont understand is how would the admission be administered if they are now outside LA control?
Although my DC are now safely in their GS, I think the fragmentation of admissions is a very bad idea. It will make the whole process so horrendously complex, which will be of greatest disadvantage to those who are already disadvantaged, i.e. with parents who, for whatever reason, can't or won't devote much research to the process.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Unless there is LEA control, we will be back to square one over admissions, people holding 3 places waiting till the last minute to decide, and others not getting places at all. This is not a good move, and who are these companies/people who will be expected to run them :?: I think it is a step backwards :roll: