Confirmation Present idea?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
First-timer

Re: Confirmation Present idea?

Post by First-timer »

In my day, wearing rosary beads as a fashion item would have been frowned upon. It was right up there with chewing the host as you left the altar rail! Even with the 80's and Madonna and all that none of us would have worn them - that was for the girls from the local non-denom school. Things may have changed now (I genuinely don't know) but just be careful you don't make a faux pas.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

First-timer wrote:In my day, wearing rosary beads as a fashion item would have been frowned upon. It was right up there with chewing the host as you left the altar rail! Even with the 80's and Madonna and all that none of us would have worn them - that was for the girls from the local non-denom school. Things may have changed now (I genuinely don't know) but just be careful you don't make a faux pas.

Yes i agree you would need to check first but it brings us to the relgion debate of how kids get bored and dis-interested in it! It needs to be more fun - coming from a catholic upbringing i think any fun way of showing your faith is a good thing. I wish it had been more fun for me when i was young - being a catholic often seemed a chore rather than something to be celebrated :)
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

tiredmum wrote:
First-timer wrote:In my day, wearing rosary beads as a fashion item would have been frowned upon. It was right up there with chewing the host as you left the altar rail! Even with the 80's and Madonna and all that none of us would have worn them - that was for the girls from the local non-denom school. Things may have changed now (I genuinely don't know) but just be careful you don't make a faux pas.

Yes i agree you would need to check first but it brings us to the relgion debate of how kids get bored and dis-interested in it! It needs to be more fun - coming from a catholic upbringing i think any fun way of showing your faith is a good thing. I wish it had been more fun for me when i was young - being a catholic often seemed a chore rather than something to be celebrated :)
I agree Tiredmum, my OH went to catholic school, good Irish catholic family he comes from....he hated it and has since rebelled to the point where he refused to consider sending DD to the Catholic school, which is a good school.
Both my girls go to a church school now and they are really interested in religion, esp the youngest. Tey must be doing something right
KB

Post by KB »

Just went to post & the message disappeared so I hope it doesn't appear twice now!

Just a follow up to the mention to be careful about rosary beads as jewellery as Catholics might be offended -
As Evangelical Anglicans we would not consider a charm bracelet appropriate ( as the concept of lucky charms goes against putting one's faith in God & believing He is in control.)
Don't mean to sound critical of others or cause offence to anyone with different beliefs- just a 'heads-up' that the recipient might feel the same way as us.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Thanks for all your suggestions. I ended up getting a silver cross necklace.
Nathair

Post by Nathair »

Fantastic idea! How did you come up with that? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Joking aside, I do think it's a good idea, something with meaning that can stay with her for the rest of her life.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10100;430/st/20100902/e/DD+Starts+Senior+School/dt/5/k/bbdb/event.png[/img]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now