Presents for teachers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Suey12

Re: Presents for teachers

Post by Suey12 »

I always tend to go for jewellery, a nice pair of silver earrings or bracelet (don't have to cost the earth if you search around a bit - "Silver by Mail" is particularly good - not sure if I'm allowed to say that, sorry if I'm not),

for teaching assistants I tend to pick up some good deals on QVC (especially towards Christmas) - they do some good sets of nail polishes - Nails Inc, about 10 bottles for under £20 (usually about £10 each in the shops), or L'Occitane soap sets, or collections of Christmas Tree Decorations - all of which I split up into several gifts - very cost effective - but lovely presents.

My DS has never been taught by the ONE male teacher at our school, so never had to worry, but have always seen lots of bottles of beer heading his way....

I always spend a lot of time choosing a lovely card, and we (me, DH and DS) always sign it, after I've written all the appropriate thank yous etc. Usually end up blubbing over my own words !!!!!!! Depending on the teacher, and my DS' experience of the whole year, the card may not have many words added to it, and I remember one particularly dreadful year (Y4) I didn't even bother with a card or present by the end of the year !!! (teacher wouldn't even have noticed).

As we near the end of Year 6, my DS' whole school experience is tainted somewhat by my rose-coloured specs (much to my amazement) and I'm already totting-up the number of teaching assistants, etc. to whom we wish to give a little 'leaving' gift. Some of them showed particular kindness towards DS when he was in Reception, way back 7 years, and all through his school experience, and while I can still remember those who weren't that caring towards him, I definitely want to thank those who have been continually kind all the way through. It's going to get expensive I fear ....... :D
zorro

Post by zorro »

Does everyone still give end of year presents in secondary school?
We gave Christmas pressies but not sure about end of term?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I hope not - a lot more expensive in secondary schools with the number of teachers involved :shock:
zorro

Post by zorro »

Just for form teacher I meant!! :lol: As per twells mum's post.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry, I missed it - the 'system' didn't take me to the first new unread post like I thought it would :oops: :oops: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Have just gone back and read the posts missed now.

When DD left last year we bought small ornaments for the three teachers and 1 teaching assistant who had been involved in her final two years (15 pupils per year so one class of 30 - mixed year 5 and 6) which in turn led me to think of her time at the school. I realised there was one significant person who had been there throughout all her years at the school, who had done so much for my dd, but had never been thanked with a gift. I appreciated the kindness and effort put in by this person, who looked after my dd every time she had problems with her ears (dd had 5 major operations whilst in primary school), she took the trouble to ring me to reassure me all was well, she administered pain relief and even cut off the wadding which was starting to unravel and fall out of dd's ear - all of this she did, which wasn't in her contract and she could easily have refused to do so but she knew dd's schooling would have been affected if she had. I wanted to say a huge thank you to her so I did. I sent the SECRETARY a bouquet of flowers and a thank you gift.

Sometimes it those who aren't in the 'front line' of things who matter just as much!
Amber

Post by Amber »

zorro wrote:Does everyone still give end of year presents in secondary school?
We gave Christmas pressies but not sure about end of term?
No way. Not for Christmas or any other reason. I reckon the main reason for giving them at primary school is to make your child feel good, and by secondary school they are more likely to be embarrassed than pleased if you bring flowers for teacher. Suits me!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

When we moved areas two years ago, we also gave the head teacher a small present.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I looking for idea's that have a science or book theme this year. Has anyone got any idea's ?
How about 'The time-traveller's wife'? Haven't read it myself, but someone at work was raving about it.
Igglepiggle

Post by Igglepiggle »

For a jokey male teacher dd bought a book of bad jokes, have also done a book token for a male teacher.

When dds were younger they did some Baker Ross type crafts, decorating tea-towels, coasters etc.

For lady teachers we have done costume jewellery, notelets, scarves (woolly and cotton), Boots token, book marks, cookery books, wine, handcream and pencil cases, all depending on the individual teacher and what dds thought they needed/deserved! Wow, that's a lot of end of year presents - I must be old!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now