Academies

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hermanmunster

Re: Academies

Post by hermanmunster »

No doodles ... you ain't dumb! Answer is I suspect that we don't really know ... it is one of those lovely nebulous statements like

"GPs can manage their own budgets".. oh hooray - yes so long as you do x,y,z,a,b,c,d, etc the you can spend the 10p left just how you want :cry: I expect it is the same for headteachers ... how much freedom will, they really get
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks doodles for asking what I wanted to ask. I don't think I will ever understand academies.
There are a lot of schools on the non-outstanding list that I assumed would be outstanding, including the one DS will be attending. To me, it is outstanding!
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

At the moment to remove selection from the admissions policy a parental ballot in favour is required. The fear is that this will no longer be required if a grammar school becomes an academy. Also potentially only one parent governor is necesary too, I think, so some people are thinking that encouraging grammars to take up academy status represents an attempt to remove academic selection by the back door.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

hermanmunster wrote:I would prefer them to wait and see too - glad Ermysteds haven't appeared.

Hey ho - have e-mailed the deputy head @ SGHS .. that will make his weekend trying to sort out the lists ... I mean what is the definition of an outstanding school?
appears it is an error - well partially! They have inded expressed are interest but are not not-outstanding, they remain outstanding.. Oh the joy of things produced in a hurry.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I have spoken to a teacher from another of the listed schools and they said it was only an 'expression of interest' too! - doesn't surprise me about the status being wrong either.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hmmm, that's intersting. The excel file I opened last night, and had bookmarked, now opens as a pdf. They are also say it's a (at the top of the page) 'List of Not Outstanding Schools that have registered only'.

They've obviously been working at correcting it today :lol: :lol:
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

slight correction, the excel file's still there, but in a different location. It's the link that's changed.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Chelmsford County High School for girls does not appear on the list but has "expressed interest,"as they put it in the letter to parents.It has had outstanding Ofsteds in a row so it could happen quickly in theory.However even the initial letter to parents was clear that the school will not become an academy, if there is any threat to its selective staus and sees itself only as investigating the possibility.The counterpart boys' grammar has done likewise.
At this stage they described their interest as being in terms of obtaining greater funding and the possibility of greater autonomy re curriculum matters.

I don't really know what I think about it though yet and I don't think the governors know yet either.I think it is just a question of weighing up any benefits with any disadvantages.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

I have no opinion one way or the other, don't know if it is good or bad, however, I imagine all this is going to cost a lot of money, and I thought the Condems :wink: were in the business of cutting costs, not splashing cash. Am I alone in my cynicism? Or is there a masterplan afoot to fund all this ?
I'd rather keep things as they are, and save a few public sector jobs, myself :D
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

I'm confused by it all also. Alot of grammers have their reputation built on their 'Grammer' Status- surely by becoming an academy they will sound like the local failing comp-turned academy. Also, will the new academies have their own entrance exam, or retain the 11+. If entrance exam, then this will cause stress on pupils who will then have to do one exam per school. How long will the whole process take to become an academy? And who pays for it all?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now