Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scary mum

Re: Books for Avid Reader Year 5

Post by scary mum »

They were what got my older DS reading towards the end of year 3 and he has never looked back. Boys love the style of them, although I agree that they are very samey and with American English. However I will be forever grateful to them for starting him reading. We also have the CDs which the kids love in the car on a long journey, although again the style of them drives me and DH round the twist after a while!
scary mum
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Just found this :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/family/famil ... kworm.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Marylou
la boume

Post by la boume »

Ah, that's me in the childhood. Read everything what I could get hold of. (Not in English though). How many books have been spoilt by accidentely dropping them in the bath water! I recognize that as an obsession, like caffein and drugs. If I had no time to read during the day I really feel withdrawal symptoms. It did not make me a rounded person, as I had very poor social skills in my youth. Not very popular with the peers either, as I only wanted to talk about the books I've read. Also I am wearing the glasses from reading in the dark.

My DD is an avid reader, but she is not allowed to read on the loo or in the bath.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

Oh yes. I remember taking books back to the library that would no longer shut as they had dived backwards off the soap rack into the bathwater.

Now as an adult I hardly read (apart from EPE) so I feel a social misfit when I don't have any books to discuss with peers.

Are you fitting in better now La Boume - that is if you can recognise your friends through the thick glasses?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

EPE? Am I being thick (will edit in a hurry when I realsie what it is) :oops:
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Eleven Plus Exams - the name of THIS website :lol: :lol: :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
I knew I would feel silly!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
scary mum
la boume

Post by la boume »

Mystery

yes now I make myself come out of the shell and talk to people :D and not only about books.

And glasses are not thick thank goodness
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

marylou thanks for posting that link - its good to have a list of pre-vetted advanced books. My dd1 was an early reader and did enjoy anne frank when she was about 10 - though it raised lots of questions - ones i was happy to answer as they were either about the world war 2 or puberty - both of which i feel its important for children to know about :lol:
As a moody, selfish teenager i think it would do her good to re-visit this book and realise how easy her life is :oops: