Help needed costume

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
pheasantchick

Re: Help needed costume

Post by pheasantchick »

Just been to a well known low priced supermarket. Their dressing-up costumes are reduced at the moment. Unfortunately, no badger costumes.
Milla

Post by Milla »

which child is this for, slackmum? Big or Small? Imagine Small could muster the costume entirely on his own - or could he help Big??
slackmum

Post by slackmum »

What a lively thread I have conjured.

It is for Big Milla, Small is a duck (white tee shirt and trousers beak etc made at school). DS1 is now sorted - cheap black wig from party shop with white lines sprayed on, my trousers tucked into long socks (knew it would come in handy him being tall one day), white shirt (which we can use next year), OH's dickie bow and waistcoat black ski gloves for paws and a walking stick. £3 spent and no sewing required, looks quite cool. School will take care of the face painting, now all he has to do is remember his lines.

Our school is definately of the tea towel and string variety and all the more charming for it, have never seen a bought costume grace one of its stages or perhaps there is raging competition going on that has gone over my head.

Nor have either been given homework that they were not able to complete unaided or again maybe I did not realise I was supposed to help in any meaningful way beyond gathering bits and providing the cheerleading.

Maybe I am a slacker Mum than I first thought. :D :D
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Will never make a costume again!
Tried to turn DD into the Magic Faraway Tree using card and pictures of the characters. She was teased mercilessly about it. This year she went as Little Red Riding Hood (costume bought very cheaply online).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Our school is definately of the tea towel and string variety and all the more charming for it, have never seen a bought costume grace one of its stages or perhaps there is raging competition going on that has gone over my head.
Probably: perhaps where you buy the tea-towel is crucial. Poundland, John Lewis or Cath Kidston...I am sure there is scope for a pecking order.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Amber, you are just so cynical. Methinks perhaps you have spent too long in an educational environment. You have permission to take a nice long holiday - when you reach retirement age of 70 (by then!!).
Amber

Post by Amber »

Snowdrops wrote::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: - Amber, you are just so cynical. Methinks perhaps you have spent too long in an educational environment. You have permission to take a nice long holiday - when you reach retirement age of 70 (by then!!).
Well yes I am cynical but it was a joke!

I have indeed been too long in education but am about to change - well, for part of the time anyway.

Anyway, all this is coming to haunt me more quickly than I could have imagined, because DS1 mentioned casually on the way to school that tomorrow, that's tomorrow, he needs a costume to enable him to be one of the Kinks.

I think I know better than to ask for suggestions on this thread....(you could always pm me!)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I know it was a joke, but it came across as very cynical too - hence my comments :lol:

The Kinks eh? good luck!! The best i can think of is a wig and some cardboard to make a fancy 'guitar'. I think you may need to google a few pictures to see what they look like (if you can be bothered of course - JOKE!! :lol: :lol: ).

Well, I hope whatever you're moving on to is interesting. Can you share?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Snowdrops wrote:I know it was a joke, but it came across as very cynical too - hence my comments :lol:

The Kinks eh? good luck!! The best i can think of is a wig and some cardboard to make a fancy 'guitar'. I think you may need to google a few pictures to see what they look like (if you can be bothered of course - JOKE!! :lol: :lol: ).
We do have a real electric guitar (toy for OH's mid-life crisis); and now I have obtained gaudy tie and cheap shirt too. Sorted. Not a tea towel in sight.
Well, I hope whatever you're moving on to is interesting. Can you share?
Costume design.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .................. and that's me told!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now