Help with train model (grrrrrrr)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Re: Help with train model (grrrrrrr)

Post by KS10 »

Being a Harry Potter fan, I would go retro and do something along the lines of the Hogwarts Express. If, however, they're expecting a 6-year old to do it then a broomstick might be in order.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

MasterChief wrote:Look around kitchin/bathroom/recycling bin for interestingly shaped packaging. A certain squash manufacturer(think Wimbledon) has litre bottles that have what looks like window details on the curved top.
Definitely agree that future trains will be maglev so no need for wheels but aerofoils and tailplanes may be in order.
Thanks will study bottles in shop tomorrow.
:D
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

KS10 wrote:Being a Harry Potter fan, I would go retro and do something along the lines of the Hogwarts Express. If, however, they're expecting a 6-year old to do it then a broomstick might be in order.
Only just 6 in fact, so it will be mostly me...
:(
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

This is probably not really what you're after but how about a swiss roll, a bag of icing with some bright food dye, a bag of licorice allsorts and maybe some of those string sweets (not sure what they are called :shock: )

Other than a bit of help mixing the icing sugar I bet DC can make a fab train out of that lot. :mrgreen:

edited to add Even better, what about mini swiss rolls then you can have carriages.

Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

Absolutely detest this kind of thing, and they always seem to land it on you at the worst possible time.
I would refuse :evil: unless of course you do the cake thing in mitasol's picture. It looks yummy :lol:
mystery

Post by mystery »

I am the ideal person to build stuff like this for kids homework as my handiwork looks pretty much like something a 6 year old might rustle up when left to themselves with a pile of rubbish, a role of sellotape and some felt-tip pens. The teacher would then think that my child had done it all themselves, no cheating with parents' help, and kiddo gets lots of praise.

What ideas does your Year 1 child have? I kind of think that if the teacher is looking for some interesting ideas from the child for a train of the future, starting with a drawing would be better for some children. They can draw and describe all their whacky ideas. You can scribe for them if necessary. They could then work out stuff they need to build their model and have a bash at doing it, but they are not going to be able to recreate all the whacky stuff in the picture.

I know you could probably produce a great train (and also the chocolate one looked great to me) but is it really going to look like the ideas or the modelling were done by a Year 1 child? Generally children that age have much more imagination than all of us oldies put together!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Thanks everyone.
I have asked her Mystery but she really is a bit of a girly girl.She said it would have "nice chairs and carpet" and be pink and silver and have "bigger windows to look out of". :oops: :oops:
More of an interior designer than an engineer :D
mystery

Post by mystery »

Well that sounds like a great train of the future to me. I'd travel on it, and it might cut down on the number of girls round here who are driven to school; they'd be fighting to catch a train instead!
Sherbetlemon

Post by Sherbetlemon »

Chelmsford mum wrote:Thanks everyone.
I have asked her Mystery but she really is a bit of a girly girl.She said it would have "nice chairs and carpet" and be pink and silver and have "bigger windows to look out of". :oops: :oops:
More of an interior designer than an engineer :D

Perhaps you could simply cut open a shoe box and get her to decorate the interior? Seems like a reasonable interpretation of the instruction to me. Then it would actually be her idea and her own work.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Looking for help wrote:Absolutely detest this kind of thing, and they always seem to land it on you at the worst possible time.
I couldnt agree more, last term she had to make a bird cage :roll:

The suprising thing is there are some crafty kids (or parents) who make awefully nice things and I always feel like my DD's are the worst.

Sorry no help CM but I do love Mitasol's. I am drooling right now by just looking at that picture. Remind me its time I have my lunch :oops:
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now