Last wk at primary - sad?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ed's mum

Re: Last wk at primary - sad?

Post by Ed's mum »

My daughter has her last day tomorrow and she and I already feel sad about it. We have spent the whole evening sorting presents and cards for tomorrow. We couldn't afford much this year but we bought a cheap roll of sandwich bags and bought about ten bags of (cheap) sweets and spent the evening putting them into 30 bags. She then designed and printed a label for each bag which we tied around with string. A cheap gesture for her classmates to wish them well and thank them for the happy memories that she has.

I read an interesting article the other day which commented on how it's not just children but also parents that feel upset at this landmark occasion; many of us will have made friends with other parents and our social lives often revolve around and evolve from our interactions at the school gate. it's a transition for us parents too. many of us will not be able to make these close bonds at the new schools as our children will hop onto buses. I'm luckier as there is no bus and I shall be meeting other parents at the school.

I've got a lump in my throat just thinking about tomorrow. I shall miss the interactions that I have had with other parents. No one from daughter's school is going to her new school. She will have to start all over again. And so shall I! Although, fortunately, she/we plan to keep up her current friendships.

Good luck to anyone also going through the farewells tomorrow. x
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

Im sad
my dd sad too.
on the whole she has had a fantastic time at primary and i know how much she will grow up over the next year, - i dont think im ready for my little girl to grow up and that makes me sad as shes my last at primary - i must be getting old :( :( :(
Cats12

Post by Cats12 »

What lovely posts here - had leavers assembly yesterday and i had tears in my eyes a few times but managed just about without tissues. I think girls do seem to get more upset than the boys if our school is anything to go by - maybe the boys are mostly like mine ie they keep their feelings hidden v deeply.
For those parents like myself also saying goodbye to primary I think it can make you feel a little melancholy - as another poster said we are also saying goodbye to school gate friendships that won't be replaced at senior school. Having 1 already at senior school I know DS will also be fine in september but it isn't quite the same.
My DD has at times gone back to her primary and said hello to teachers and even though she really loves her senior school she does looks back with v fond memories and says she realises more than ever now how great her primary was
frustrated

Post by frustrated »

Well, thats it, all over now.

I got a bit tearful after dropping DS off at school today, and again before I collected him, but as for the actual moment when he came out of the gates for the last time................. :?

Nothing! :lol:

I was fine, he was fine and we are now looking forward to the summer break and moving on to the next chapter of his life. Its not so bad after all...... :wink:
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Oh my, I expected to see the girls crying but I also saw alot of the boy's crying there heart's out too :( Bless there cotton socks, they'll all be fine, they came out with all their shirt's signed and we have a lovely yearbook with picture's of everyone in :D So that's it, the end of one chapter and soon another begins!
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

It was heartbreaking at my daughter's school. Many tears, weeping and wailing - from the girlies. Oh, and maybe a little trickle of a tear from me too.
Daughter won the outstanding performance in literacy trophy. Very proud mother typing this!!
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Ed's mum wrote:Daughter won the outstanding performance in literacy trophy. Very proud mother typing this!!
Well done DD and well done you.She didn't get the opportunity she is about to have next year without your love, encouragement and support.
Well done. :D
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thank you. You are too kind. X
KS10

Post by KS10 »

OH was embarrassed when he saw me getting a little tearful. No shirt-signing but did have a Yearbook. A quick hug from his class teacher, a few goodbyes and it was all over. DS was fine although it may hit him towards the end of the hols.
T12ACY

Post by T12ACY »

We had floods of tears from both DS and me! Got home and put on the CD given to the class by form teacher.... and it set us off again!!! Was totally the best thing (slideshow of all the students with comments about them made by others in the class) and am very grateful for a fab Y6 teacher :D

So to make me feel better I have been online to order DS's sports kit for his new school, which despite having a mini wobble this morning at the enormity of it all, he is really looking forward to going to 8)
Money can't buy you happiness, but it does bring you a more pleasant form of misery.