What a way to start the holidays!!!!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Amber

Re: What a way to start the holidays!!!!

Post by Amber »

doodles wrote:Was thinking of you too MM and how's the leg Amber?
Thank you. It looks almost normal now, just a bit swollen, like an old lady with congestive heart failure. My guts are still in turmoil after the antibiotics though - or maybe that was my first and, I have to say last, venture into KFC on the way home from London the other night. How does anyone eat that stuff?!*
Midget Man wrote: They have said she need's physio, is this the norm??
Nice one if you can get it, I'd say! My DD was sent for physio but all they did was test the range of movement, pronounce it slightly limited, told us she was hypermobile and better watch out, and left it at that.

* Other opinions are available
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Oh no Wonderwoman, how did that happen? How long will they have to have it in plaster? We tried camping the other week, but it was made so difficult for Miss Midget to do anything belss her :(

The doc said she is bendy so perhap's that is more of a reason why they have referred her for physio, let's hope they are better than your one Amber :D

Amber-Great to hear you are now recovering, we don't eat KFC but I reckon it probably is to do with the anti-b's, nasty thing's for the gut!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

It was the dreaded trampoline and big brother.
Should have the plaster off just before school starts, but DC has limited use of non-broken arm so we are having a very fraught time.
I deal with physios a lot - one this week already. Ours are good, but you might have to nag a bit and insist you are seen and followed up.
Amber

Post by Amber »

wonderwoman wrote:It was the dreaded trampoline and big brother.
Should have the plaster off just before school starts, but DC has limited use of non-broken arm so we are having a very fraught time.
I deal with physios a lot - one this week already. Ours are good, but you might have to nag a bit and insist you are seen and followed up.
DD's second lot of breaks occurred on a trampoline too: we have the bounce surround and one-at-a-time rule, which was being flouted at the time of injury. Don't you just feel like the worst parent when you utter the 't' word in A&E? The knowing looks from staff, the way they say 'ah, yes.' The surgeon who repaired DD's broken radius and ulna said to us 'there is a reason why you will never find a trampoline in an orthopaedic surgeon's garden'.

I didn't wish to imply the physio wasn't very nice, btw, she just wasn't much help.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Amber,
you may remember me contributing to a thread about rewards for passing the 11plus. My son was treated to a battered sausage and many people admitted to also finding them a guilty treat.

We live round the corner from a KFC and for 5 years my daughter begged us to go there for a " family bucket" having been exposed to far too much tv advertising. When she passed the 11plus her treat was that "family bucket" and I will never forget the total disappointment and horror on her face when she ate her first bit. Anti biotics are a real pleasure compared to that ****.

Glad to hear you are on the mend. My whole body is looking a bit swollen and heart failury but that may be due to having just returned from holidaying in Wales 50 yards from the best chip shop and best ice cream van in Pembrokeshire.
Amber

Post by Amber »

marigold wrote:Amber,

We live round the corner from a KFC and for 5 years my daughter begged us to go there for a " family bucket" having been exposed to far too much tv advertising. When she passed the 11plus her treat was that "family bucket" and I will never forget the total disappointment and horror on her face when she ate her first bit. Anti biotics are a real pleasure compared to that ****.
:lol:

Actually, I think the bucket could come in quite handy.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

[quote="Amber]Don't you just feel like the worst parent when you utter the 't' word in A&E? The knowing looks from staff, the way they say 'ah, yes.' The surgeon who repaired DD's broken radius and ulna said to us 'there is a reason why you will never find a trampoline in an orthopaedic surgeon's garden'.
[/quote]

We were the 4th that day and our v.v. small A&E is hardly heaving - in fact we were the only people there.

We are actually regular visitors - rugby, horse riding, farming, not to mention the death defying stunts carried out by DS2. I thought trampolining was quite safe. In my experience far safer than KFC :lol:
Milla

Post by Milla »

we were told that when having youngest's arm set - that trampolines were their bread and butter. OH has always refused to have them and certainly I know fully half a dozen children with broken bits due to them - even the ones with the nets, since they can get caught in them. The trouble often seems to be the disparity in weights when more than one child is on.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Certainly many of our friends' children have been plastered due to trampolining incidents. Most of our friends are surprised our children have lasted as long as they have, having seen them in action.

We held off getting a trampoline for years, but it was recommended in some leaflets from the physio :lol: good for core strength I think.
Amber

Post by Amber »

wonderwoman wrote:Certainly many of our friends' children have been plastered due to trampolining incidents. Most of our friends are surprised our children have lasted as long as they have, having seen them in action.

We held off getting a trampoline for years, but it was recommended in some leaflets from the physio :lol: good for core strength I think.
Search 'the myth of core stability' - a comprehensive dismantling of the rationale behind Pilates, among other things! I always knew that was the most boring exercise ever invented, and now it turns out it is a waste of time as well!

Our trampoline was very popular here until DD scarred herself permanently on it. I have to say we agonised for years too; in the end it was bought by relatives, and on balance I am still glad we have it despite the obvious downside. Anyone who has read some of my other offerings will know that our lot have managed to cause themselves injury on pretty innocuous items like gates and baby toys, so there is only so far you can go to protect them. Quite a few naysayers of trampolines enthusiastically pack the salopettes and head for the slopes every year; or trot off to the local riding stables, and both of these things are more dangerous (and expensive; and in one case bad for the planet!) than a domestic trampoline. Milla is right that the difference in weights between 2 children is the usual cause of problems, because unlike tree climbing where kids can judge the risks, most are not clever enough with the laws of physics to do a quick calculation of moment and potential energy to decide whether to bounce at a particular point. This is what did for DD, despite our rule that it was one at a time, she was on with her brother, trying to perform some kind of acrobatic stunt. Unsuccessfully, obviously. :(