Using middle name as first name

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sherry_d

Using middle name as first name

Post by sherry_d »

Can a child use their middle name as their first?

Both names are on birth certificate so would it be legal to use middle name instead on official documents as first name?
Impossible is Nothing.
pheasantchick

Re: Using middle name as first name

Post by pheasantchick »

Alot of people use their second name as their main name. Not sure what the legal aspect of it all is, though.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

you can use whatever name you like - even if it is not one of the names on the birth certificate. if a child wants to use a middle name then let the school know

- certificates tend to be in the form John Andrew Smith or John A Smith but can be J Andrew Smith in this case.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

my Grandma - Caroline Daisy..known as Daisy, her Daughter Helen Joan, my Auntie Joan married Melvyn Tom..my Uncle Tom.....

so don;t see why not!
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

There's nothing stopping a person using their middle name instead of their first name for most purposes, no.

However, presumably your child's birth certificate and passport have the full name and, if the child wants to change those (ie the legal name), then that needs to be done by deed poll (a relatively simple affair) and then the deed poll submitted to the relevant authorities to effect the change (plus inevitable cost).

I know several people who are, eg. Lavinia Smith to all and sundry, yet whose passports say they are really Mary Lavinia Smith because they haven't gone the whole hog and changed their name legally either because they aren't really that bothered, or they can't bear the hassle.

If, say, your child was applying for a bank account in the name Lavinia Smith, then she would have to supply ID for money laundering purposes. The bank should spot that she was really Mary Lavinia Smith and would ask questions. However, as long as the account was opened in the correct name you can often choose how your name appears on the card/statement - I am sure Lavinia Smith would be an option even if the bank still uses Mary as the first name.

To get rid of Mary altogether, though, you would need the deed poll.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

similar in the family and the bank account reads: M. Lavinia Smith - Bank have no problem with this .
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

You have a relation called Lavinia Smith too, Herman? ;)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

nah .. her name is really something entirely different!!!!!

........ well actually she is a headmistress so best not actually announce the name!

... anyway i like the name Lavinia
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I once thought i may change my name to Albert Thring..it has a certain ring about it
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

My son is just 2 so do you think its perhaps better to just change by deed poll or its probably not worth the hassle? I wanted to avoid that hassle but perhaps that can save him more hassle. It seems a bit silly doing the deed poll simply to swap middle name for the first name. Whatever we were thinking when we gave him that Firstname :shock:
Impossible is Nothing.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now