John Humphries Programme

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

84t

Re: John Humphries Programme

Post by 84t »

Ews147

Please spare a thought for us poor mothers. Every day my son goes into school tucked in. At the end of each day he returns untucked. This has lead to the successive purchase of longer and longer shirts, and yet they still remain untucked at the end of the day. I do understand that it is much more pleasing on the eye to be one of the "tuckers", however there is something peculiar to some boys where they seem to come apart in the middle. My son is in this category. Since my son is in all other aspects a school abiding pupil and is not one of those who deliberately flouts the uniform code I have decided it is of minor importance. Some boys just cannot remain tucked. Any ideas?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ah, but it has become the way to be dressed, has it not? All the more reason to be asked to tuck yourself back in (same as big loose ties, short hemlines etc etc etc). It's code for conform .............. or else :lol: :lol:

Ewes is completely right about the thinking behind smart dressing. If you take care in your appearance, it can encourage your attitude towards your behaviour and work.

It's the same as standing up in the classroom when someone walks in. If you show respect it reflects in your attitude and work ethos.

No one thing makes a good student or teacher, but put them together and the end result hopefully is a good one!
Just1-2go

Post by Just1-2go »

84t wrote:Ews147

Please spare a thought for us poor mothers. Every day my son goes into school tucked in. At the end of each day he returns untucked. This has lead to the successive purchase of longer and longer shirts, and yet they still remain untucked at the end of the day. I do understand that it is much more pleasing on the eye to be one of the "tuckers", however there is something peculiar to some boys where they seem to come apart in the middle. My son is in this category. Since my son is in all other aspects a school abiding pupil and is not one of those who deliberately flouts the uniform code I have decided it is of minor importance. Some boys just cannot remain tucked. Any ideas?
I am always amazed that my son DOES remain tucked - as he seems to wear his trousers so low down that the crotch is around his knees!!! Despite protests from his "seriously uncool father" and the regular tearing of said trousers!
84t

Post by 84t »

Sorry Snowdrops to disagree- I believe my son does not choose. He just CAN not rather than Will not keep himself together! Some may choose, but he is not one of them. I understand more than most the importance of a smart uniform and the impact on discipline etc etc having spent many years with the military myself. Even more frustrating for me to witness his "untuckedness"!
ews147

Post by ews147 »

84t wrote:Ews147

I know exactly what you mean... My ds also comes home with his shirt untucked! However, as snowdrops has pointed out, this has become 'the cool' way to dress. Fortunately though, my ds only untucks his shirt when he gets on the bus in order to conform...it's stashed neatly away at school, as is everyone else's shirt.
In deprived schools, adherence to smart uniform becomes an even more important battle to win, because the pupils are often vunerable and come from chaotic homes, therefore they feel (subconsciously, at least!)safer and happier in the school environment where the expectations are very clear.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

84t, you could always sew buttons/presstuds to his shirt and underwear, that'd keep him tucked in :lol: :lol:

Seriously, some kids are just that way out and the reminder to tuck in should aid him to remember to check himself out - eventually.

There's an awful lot of miitary about - my dad and hubby are were ex-army :)
ews147

Post by ews147 »

84t

I really wouldn't worry too much about it. Teachers don't actually mind having to remind pupils about shirts etc,- in fact, they expect to! It's only when the pupil responds in a very aggressive manner, it becomes an issue. :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now