Careless mistakes

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
harrowboy

Careless mistakes

Post by harrowboy »

Currently I am helping 2 kids with their maths preparing for this years 11+. I have problem of making quite a bit of careless mistakes. Sometimes may be lack of effort in reading the question and rush to give the answer and some other time looks like a bit of over confident.
How could I persuade them to get their full effort in doing their work?
Marylou

Re: Careless mistakes

Post by Marylou »

harrowboy wrote:Currently I am helping 2 kids with their maths preparing for this years 11+. I have problem of making quite a bit of careless mistakes. Sometimes may be lack of effort in reading the question and rush to give the answer and some other time looks like a bit of over confident.
How could I persuade them to get their full effort in doing their work?
When they have done a practice paper and are reading back over their work, maybe offer them a small bri... I mean an incentive for every mistake they spot and correct (within the time allowed?) Perhaps a sweet or sticker or something. I think I might have to do something like this with my DS, as he has a tendency to rush and not bother to check things.
Marylou
CandyPlum1

Post by CandyPlum1 »

Go over the mistakes with them?
macasoma

Post by macasoma »

I would suggest that if you doing the same test papers time and again, you record which ones they get wrong, then after a couple of efforts you knock out those that they can do without any trouble and focus for a shorter time on the more'difficult' ones. This means they feel that they are getting more free time, but they are focusing where they need to when they are working and you have fewer to talk through with them. When they get a majority of those left correct re-introduce the 'easier' ones and you should see an overall improvement.