Fake market research phone calls

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Warks mum

Re: Fake market research phone calls

Post by Warks mum »

I know many of the dodgy callers are now on to this one, but you can ask your telephone provider (BT, TalkTalk or similar) to block calls that don't have telephone numbers. I'm thinking of doing this because I'm now getting several phone calls a week asking for a person with different name offering to get rid of his debts! My phone shows the telephone number of the caller and these calls come up blank or 'number unknown'.

The office I work in uses an internal telephone system that suggests our number is 'withheld' so I sometimes call a number and get a message that tells me the person I'm calling does not accept calls from people like me! To be honest I don't mind having to make an effort to call that person differently because I know what a nuisance the dodgy calls can be, though clearly it's nothing like as dramatic as Plum's problem.
youngest

Post by youngest »

cinnamon wrote:
Incidentally, does anyone know what's behind the 'accident' calls? Caller says they understand someone in your house has had an accident recently. The first time this happened I just thought it was a wrong number, by call number 4 a few weeks later it clearly was not. When I asked where their information came from I was told "the police or the hospital" (both well known, of course, for giving private details to random 3rd parties and having little else to do with their time). I told them that was rubbish and hung up but still don't see what they're after. Is it as simple as calling on the off chance they will reach someone who has had an accident a la Claims Direct? Seems rather a scattergun approach. Any ideas?
Our A & E has a notice on the wall saying that they do not give out information about A & E visits and this type of call are a scam! Hospitals are not allowed to give out patient information.

We are with the TPS but have had 2 calls this week, one from BT and one from a double glazing company, both of which I won - the caller hung up before me!!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

youngest wrote:We are with the TPS but have had 2 calls this week, one from BT and one from a double glazing company, both of which I won - the caller hung up before me!!!
:lol:

More power to you, youngest!
ausvic

Post by ausvic »

I have had texts from companies wanting me to claim for an accident that is already with solicitors. How did they know??????
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now