Child Benefit to be scrapped for higher earners

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sherry_d

Re: Child Benefit to be scrapped for higher earners

Post by sherry_d »

One allowance I thought would be on the top of the list is EMA, why dont they just get rid of it?

The new CB wont just be unfair on those who stay at home while DPs work, it will be unfair to single parents too. Household income is a better way than looking at taxable income per individual person. Its too simplistic what they are trying to do. This is also just another headline grabbing policy so that they say they are hitting middle class too not just the poor. I remember seeing the amount of money they save which will be very little to none considering the cost of implementing.
Impossible is Nothing.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

agreed re EMA!

I shall be sorry to see the end of CB - Currently am the only person working in this household, OH gets the CB together with the home responsibility protection of his NI and hence state pension.

Annual tax bill is painful and getting SOMETHING back each week is great.

Also can't get my head around big brothers wish to have all kids on a register - which they do at present with CB, they will lose that if some people don't claim.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

EMA????? - sorry being a bit slow today.
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

We will be well and truly be caught in this. My OH earns exactly 44k, I am a stay at home mum with 3 children. As it is, we have never taken a proper holiday other than camping as we can't afford it. Now all children are of school age there's 3 lot's of uniform and shoes and school trips, after school clubs etc and getting the CB each month really did help a little.

It really makes me angry that there are those on full benefits who are able to afford much more gaining free school meals, grants for uniform and free school trips whilst we were already struggling for them to go on atleast a few here and there :(

A real blow to hear our situation will now become alot,lot worse.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Education maintenance allowance - a sum of money paid DIRECTLY to the 6th former in families with lower income - designed to pay for travel etc - ahem - spot the kids with the dosh ....
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/EducationAn ... /DG_066951
Midget Man

Post by Midget Man »

Yep, just confirmed on tv that those earning 86K odd between them will still get it ?? :x :x Absolutely outrageous!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Midget Man wrote:Yep, just confirmed on tv that those earning 86K odd between them will still get it ?? :x :x Absolutely outrageous!
infuriating but actually it is only those who manage to earn exactly 43k each - get too much of a pay rise and bang goes the lot
doodles

Post by doodles »

Got this from lovemoney.com

"The Chancellor argues that this is a simple way of reforming the child benefit system. However, it does leave open a glaring loophole.
The change only affects those families where one worker earns in excess of £44,000. It makes no provisions for the household income, though.
As a result, a family where both parents earn £43,000, giving them a total household income of £86,000 would still be able to claim the benefit, while a family where only one member is working and earning a salary of £45,000 would not."

I thought the richer members of society were supposed to be playing their part in getting us out of recession. I think that a household earning £86K is a lot "richer" than one on £44K! Once again ordinary families are being penalised. I also thought that this was one of the benefits they promised not to touch though I may be wrong on this point.

This country is going backwards - this was a benefit that was fought for and granted to ensure that mothers knew they would receive some money into their own hand and weren't reliant on a husband handing over their wages (before anybody jumps on me it was a long time ago).

I am really angry about this as you may have gathered!
andyb

Post by andyb »

We will miss out too - OH earns just over the threshold & I work a few hours a week at minimum wage. Someone somewhere needs to have a proper think about the implications for those that just creep into the higher tax bracket. To one family earning over £80k and able to claim CB, yet another family with an income of £46k unable to claim is just ludicrous.
yogkruti

Post by yogkruti »

andyb wrote:We will miss out too - OH earns just over the threshold & I work a few hours a week at minimum wage. Someone somewhere needs to have a proper think about the implications for those that just creep into the higher tax bracket. To one family earning over £80k and able to claim CB, yet another family with an income of £46k unable to claim is just ludicrous.
Agreed. I saw posts on other forums where people are justifying this by saying that families where both work have a "cost in terms of child minding/ nannies" etc. :shock:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now