meanwhile in chile...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Snowdrops

Re: meanwhile in chile...

Post by Snowdrops »

I was worried last night, watching about midnight, when they were battering a piece (what looked like an iron 'peg') with heavy spanners and said they were just making final adjustments :shock: :shock: I would have thought it would be ready days (if not weeks) beforehand and tested. That iron rope they're using to winch them up and down doesn't look thick enough either - not that I'm an expert in stess and tension on steel you understand, I just don't like fairground rides because nothing ever looks strong enough :shock:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

The cable is imported from Germany and is cable car quality- so considerably stronger than necessary for a small capsule. The tiny capsule is terrifying!
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

The tiny capsule is terrifying but I suspect it will not seem as bad to these men who are used to working in confined spaces and they will view it as their salvation. Still, the very thought of being trapped in there for over an hour makes me shudder!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

............. and have you seen that orange elastic thing holding on to the cable at the surface? eeeeek!

I've just been sat watching it for the last couple of hours and saw rescue 7 and 8 'live', gosh talk about tearful :cry:

It really is a wonderful day for them all!
Plum

Post by Plum »

I'm looking forward to the Hollywood blockbuster that's bound to come out next year, not to mention the raft of "made for TV movies" :lol: :lol: :lol:

On the plus side of all this, Chile has come across very well in the news and the local town looks lovely. It has always been on my list of places to go but I think I will have to move up higher!

Plumx
doodles

Post by doodles »

Number 9 about to come out. Apparently after every eight or so "flights" the capsule has to be looked over and "serviced" but I think that there are actually three capsules in all.

I just so hope it goes well. Makes you think twice about things doesn't it......

Just been listening to the fact the Number 9's wife had spent the time before he went to work that day persuading him not to go and trying to get him to fill in his retirement papers. I think she has every right to say "I told you so......" :lol:
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I'm looking forward to the Hollywood blockbuster that's bound to come out next year, not to mention the raft of "made for TV movies"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

doodles wrote: Just been listening to the fact the Number 9's wife had spent the time before he went to work that day persuading him not to go and trying to get him to fill in his retirement papers. I think she has every right to say "I told you so......" :lol:
And he will say.......stop your nagging or I am getting back in that capsule.

Is that why they are all coming out fit and healthy. 10 weeks respite from the missus.
doodles

Post by doodles »

ooooooohhhhhh........ :wink:
mad?

Post by mad? »

I loved the wife on tv last night who, when asked (via a transaltor) whether she thought her husband would have been changed by the experience replied 'well I think it will make him more humble, at lesat I hope so' :lol: :lol:
mad?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now