A little moan about school uniform...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Re: A little moan about school uniform...

Post by pheasantchick »

Forgot to mention, always been happy with Clarks shoes and so far, managed one pair per per child per year.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Some (independent) schools have their own shop and the one in Monmouth girls school was open to anyone to go in. Only open certain times, you had to check. They had really nice school shoes and a pair we got lasted ages - not startrite but similar. While there, a woman I knew who had 1 dc at the school looked incredulously at me with the words "what are YOU doing here?" .... :roll: Not sure if any other schools have those shoe shops but might be worth checking.

btw Sainsbos trousers aren't too bad - tried some for my ds and been fine - I wish more had those elasticated thingys in that adjust the waist for skinnys -most just fall down.

oh yes and this morning my dd year 7 was moaning about only having the woolly type tights left in her drawer..apparently far too uncool (surely we should be looking for "warmth" in the tights dept at this time of year???)....yes I know I am a certified old fogey now. Other DD asked for a thermal vest..hurrah..right up my street!! :D
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

My 15 year old is 6ft 5in with size 14 feet - uniform is a complete nightmare. As for school shoes and football boots!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

mum23* wrote:oh yes and this morning my dd year 7 was moaning about only having the woolly type tights left in her drawer..apparently far too uncool (surely we should be looking for "warmth" in the tights dept at this time of year???)....yes I know I am a certified old fogey now. Other DD asked for a thermal vest..hurrah..right up my street!! :D

Last year my dd was happy with 60 denier black tights. I bought some this year (in summer whilst they were in stock) but she went ballistic and made me go and buy 30 denier ones, which I have been buying every week since (we can do a nice line in black tights these days at our house - but come the colder weather there won't be any in the shops so I don't mind stockpiling them!). Today I saw 100 denier, really thick and woolly, so I've bought two pairs. I know when it gets really icy and snowy like it did last year (and is predicted for this year again) she is going to be begging for these, so I got in whilst the going was good. She'd better wear them, or I'll have to slim down an awful lot more to get into them :lol: :lol:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ooh, how exciting, I've been looking the other way for a couple of days and missed an opportunity to rant!
DD - September, new school, new jumper (£18). Week 2 took it back as the cuffs were unravelling. Now it's shrunk by about three sizes so will have to go back again (well, madam, if you will wash it). DS1 hasn't worn his yet but no doubt the same will happen.
DS1 - new shoes in September, beautifully named with proper shoe labels, went missing after PE. He has small feet so not many in the school would fit into them. I know that's not Clarks' fault, but it is their fault that I will have to spend £30-40 to replace them. Grrrr.

Ah. That's better. :oops:
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

School black rugby shorts second wear DS1 came up out of the scrum with a nice little flappy number going on. They had ripped from hem to waistband - it wasn't a good look but it made the rest of the team chuckle. However, Simmonds were excellent and took them back without a murmur even though I no longer had the receipt.
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Our school colours are 'gold' (yellow) polo-shirt and green skirt/cardigan/tights. It's like the school decided on the rarest colours and chose those! Most shops only sell grey/blue black with white or blue polo-shirts. M&S sell out of the cardigans and skirts in June, and they drift back into stock the following spring. The BHS ones are a grey/green and Asda/Tu ones are thin and also grey/green. The school supply shop ones develop a lovely shiny(!) texture around the arms at about the same time buttons start falling off with the autumn leaves.

I stopped buying M&S polo-shirts years ago as they shrink and become very hard (helped by London water, perhaps) and the collars are always buckled unless ironed vigorously after every wash.

Clarks mismeasure both my dd's feet with their silly machines, which I now refuse, but buy their shoes, or Ricosta (REALLY hard-wearing) when I can.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

Those with DDs in secondary school which brands or what type of shoes are you buying your girls? Clarks has always served us well and lasted at least a year but I think she is outgrowing that brand now :wink:
Impossible is Nothing.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

At DD's previous school they had to have a strap across them and couldn't have ballet pump styles unless they had the strap. I found her some in Clarks adult range which she liked and lasted her all year and have just bought her another pair exactly the same. Her feet have stopped growing, which helps. Her new school is less fussy so I wouldn't be surprised if she wants something different next time, but so far, no complaints. They are flat, round toed with a strap across. And she is quite fashion/peer conscious.
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

sherry_d wrote:Those with DDs in secondary school which brands or what type of shoes are you buying your girls? Clarks has always served us well and lasted at least a year but I think she is outgrowing that brand now :wink:

Well, after seaching all the shoe shops, spending huge amounts of money in some - and yet they still fell apart - we have resorted for the last 8 months or so to buying cheap (£8) ballet style shoes (school very strict on heel heights :lol: :lol: ) from Asda, which seem to be lasting the six weeks of half term. I find them excellent as she does walk about a mile and a half from the bus station to school (but not back again, she catches a different bus :shock: ). But I do wish I could buy her quality shoes which she liked, I'm still holding out hope for the Doc Martens!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now