Go to navigation
It is currently Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:08 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Penguin Club
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:54 am 

Does anyone's dc use penguin club?
My dd has asked to join this and I have said I have to look into it and find out what its really all about. Apparently lots of her friends have an account.
I looked at the website but I do not think I have enough information to know what it entails, how safe it is and its use.
Comments welcomed. Thank you

Post subject: Re: Penguin Club
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:04 pm 

It's Club Penguin.

It's been owned by Disney for about 5 years. It's one of their least-tacky products (they bought it from the developers).

Very, very safe. Children are recruited to report any behaviour that could be nasty (be it name-calling or worse), so I've never seen anything at all dodgy on there. There are live help-desks in UK & elsewhere who monitor any problems reported (but do so in a very child-friendly way).

If you're paranoid, you can even set your children's accounts so they can only go to islands where they can only use pre-set responses, though most parents don't do so. I've got my own account, which I used to use mainly if DD2 had any problems with particular games. Apart from it is rather addictive.

You can play for free, but it's better to have a paid membership, as that opens the way to more options (a better range of clothes & igloos for your penguins. These are bought using points earned in games, so the cost doesn't increase). There are new games & events happening all the time.

I'd recommend it to anyone. It's not particularly 'educational' but does develop problem solving skills.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:47 pm 

I'd agree with capers, my DCs love it. DD & friend's penguins meet at a pre-arranged time & island... The only issue we had was each DC wanting their own penguin and therefore own membership fee. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:58 pm 

Thanks for your feedback. I will think about getting it as a xmas present. Dont want to set the impression they can just have anything they want, whenever they want, especially if it costs money. Am sure she will be delighted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 pm 

Especially if it costs £37.95 for a year. i hope its worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:01 pm 

blessedmum,

I had the same reservations as you when ds ask if he could join a year ago and below is a link to the replies I got from the forum:

Must add that the novelty has since worn off and ds hardly go on it.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9883

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:02 pm 

my friends dd had it a few years ago and loved it - anyone know what age it is aimed at?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:03 pm 

You can pay for one month's membership, then renew when that expires (or even wait a bit before renewing the same penguin - helpful if you want some something to bargain with :lol: ) or you can pay for 6 months at a time, monthly by DD etc. I've also seen gift cards for membership in WHS.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:10 pm 

Josa wrote:
blessedmum,

I had the same reservations as you when ds ask if he could join a year ago and below is a link to the replies I got from the forum:

Must add that the novelty has since worn off and ds hardly go on it.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=9883

Thanks Josa
I have read all the post and it seems the kids get bored after a short while. I might consider a 6mths membership instead of a year especially as she's going to Sec next Sept and may not be interested in it again.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:17 pm 

tiredmum wrote:
my friends dd had it a few years ago and loved it - anyone know what age it is aimed at?

Tiredmum,

just had a look at the site and its says it is designed for 6-14 year olds but is open to all ages