Am I just being tight, or is this very expensive?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Re: Am I just being tight, or is this very expensive?

Post by Milla »

our Y6 residential (Mon - Fri, 4 nights) a couple of hours away by coach was at least £350. Very expensive. Rubbish food, too, apparently! And although there were quite a few good "activities" lots of it seemed to boil down to walking up a hill or playing rounders. Bit of a swizz really.
Edited to add that don't mean to sound churlish - he did have a great time!
Last edited by Milla on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS just had 3 days in Norfolk for £180 but loads of activities from what I can make out.

Last year his Yr6 trip was 4 nights / 5 days in France - hotel, all meals, entrance fees and activities included he needed nothing but pocket money which was capped at £5 per day - and this was £400 which I thought was OK as they did absolutely masses. It was also a bit of a last "hooray" with his mates who he had been at school with since he was 4.

I think it depends on what they do - if it includes entrances etc etc etc and all meals not too bad - have you got an itinerary so that you can break it down, I find that helps because you realise how quickly things add up.

Whether you want to spend that is a completely different matter :wink:
Last edited by doodles on Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blessedmum

Post by blessedmum »

My dd has a year 6 trip next year to France for £420. Its five days. We are letting her go as it will be her last opportunity to spend time with her year group.
Looks like school trip in senior school is no joke. I better start saving the pennies, hoping it will all add up.
jingle

Post by jingle »

Many thanks all, seems pretty much the going rate then. Will probably save a fortune on my food bill anyway during his absence as he eats more than the rest of us put together. (Yet still looks like a stick!)
zorro

Post by zorro »

Personally I think that's expensive for three days. DS going on ski trip in March which is £900 for a week including flights, hotel, food, ski hire, lift pass and tuition. They have kept the cost the same as last year too.
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

Hmmm...that really is pricey ! Especially considering you're already very south.
We paid just over £200 for year 7/8 France trip earlier this year. They left late Thurs & arrived home late Mon. The itinery was completely packed & a very good time was had by all !
We have had the letter home for the £1200 ski trip :roll: Never gonna happen :lol:
Schools seem to offer trips abroad very regularly,so I think it's just a case of pick & choose those which seem to offer an educational element at a reasonable price,not just an excuse for a jaunt abroad with a price that takes your breath away & would be better spent on something the whole family could enjoy !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now