Growing pains ?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

hermanmunster

Re: Growing pains ?

Post by hermanmunster »

It would all be fine if everything grew at the same rate! Sometimes it is the feet that grow and they trip over everything - sometimes it is the bones of the legs and then they get pains and never get comfortable - sometimes the whole of the limbs and they take on this gangly stick insect appearance. Equally some grow out then up - hating the "puppy fat" while others grow up then out and you feel awful while the ribs are sticking out..... eeek
mad?

Post by mad? »

hermanmunster wrote:It would all be fine if everything grew at the same rate! Sometimes it is the feet that grow and they trip over everything - sometimes it is the bones of the legs and then they get pains and never get comfortable - sometimes the whole of the limbs and they take on this gangly stick insect appearance. Equally some grow out then up - hating the "puppy fat" while others grow up then out and you feel awful while the ribs are sticking out..... eeek
I just grew out, and then out again, still 'growing' here in my 40s! :evil:
mad?
Freya

Post by Freya »

Logic - if your DS's boots are hard soled, try these :

http://www.happyfeetsockcompany.com/

"As well as the football socks we also produce a sock with a cushioned foot, these are particularly popular for rugby and hockey teams as well as football
100% Nylon leg with 80% Cotton, 20% Nylon cushion foot
Designed for added comfort to the foot during energetic, high impact sports, including football"

DS couldn't believe what a difference they made. We also invested in extra supple leather boots and insoles.

Rob - thankfully yes, DS has access to a drop in physio twice weekly. For his growing pains he was advised to swim and we also used massage.

Herman - sport is important to DS as his dream is to play professional rugby. Sometimes we have to step in and limit what he does for the good of his body. He used to moan about this but now accepts that looking after his body is as important as doing his revision if he wants to have the best chance of achieving his goal.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Freya wrote: Herman - sport is important to DS as his dream is to play professional rugby. Sometimes we have to step in and limit what he does for the good of his body. He used to moan about this but now accepts that looking after his body is as important as doing his revision if he wants to have the best chance of achieving his goal.
Hope he gets on OK! Glad you step in to make sure he cares for himself.

I see a lot of kids whose parents are making a career out of the child's sport.
First thing you are told is about the sporting achievements and how nothing must get in the way.
We also see a few where the child however is demonstrating la belle indifference to the undiagnosable and unexplainable problem. Getting the parents to twig too is the challenge.
Also see lots of adults beside themselves as an injury is stopping them exercising - usually running, - if you dig deep enough they are usually running away from something.
Freya

Post by Freya »

I see kids whose parents are making a career of getting their DC into Oxbridge! We are constantly striving for the balance which supports DS enough in his sport while not getting silly about it and still ensuring he progresses to his potential academically. It's not easy!

Adults can become addicted to exercise if taken to extreme. When injury stops them they can experience withdrawal. :shock: Not me, I hasten to add and guiltily admit shockingly little exercise!

Sorry for OT! Get the socks!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Freya wrote:I see kids whose parents are making a career of getting their DC into Oxbridge!
and other things .... just think of Mrs Middleton!
Adults can become addicted to exercise if taken to extreme. When injury stops them they can experience withdrawal. :shock: Not me, I hasten to add and guiltily admit shockingly little exercise!

Sorry for OT! Get the socks!
agreed re the socks.... signed "another couch potato!"
logic32

Post by logic32 »

Thanks Freya,

I have just ordered a couple of pairs ! What a great site, I hope they help.

Sadly as I said our son is not a natural sportsman, but he loves his football, even if he's not very good ( he hasn't realised that yet ). We are very lucky that his club have an inclusive policy for all abilities, so he still gets to play in matches

He also plays badminton once a week as I thought it might help his co-ordination , and he thoroughly enjoys that too.

So hopefully not too excessive and certainly don't push him to do it.

I have friends with children who are very talented sports wise and I know they also struggle to find a balance for their kids who just want to be playing/ running / hitting ( balls) all the time.
Milla

Post by Milla »

Rob Clark wrote:
Despite their pain, I would be thrilled for growing pains.
Milla, I know you're being flippant, but this really is an incredibly tactless thing to say. For sport-mad DCs who are prevented from doing what they love, growing pains are really not a joking matter - I say this from professional rather than personal experience.
Sometimes one can't move on this site for people taking offence and getting huffy. I meant no harm and people who "know" me on this site will hopefully know that. It IS worrying having children who don't grow, yet eat well. Seeing their self-confidence shrivel. It is similar to when I was pregnant. Folowing several miscarriages, I would have been, yes, thrilled with unpleasant side effects just to reassure me that I was still pregnant. A very worrying time.
And, again, yes, I did have growing pains - very long legs. Ouch.
I meant no offence to anyone, least of all the OP.
tiredmum

Post by tiredmum »

logic32 wrote:He also plays badminton once a week as I thought it might help his co-ordination , and he thoroughly enjoys that too.

Trampolining is great for clumsy/poor balance kids - dd2 used to do it for that reason - stopped now but it did help, she still does dance though- which also has helped. :)
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Only in my dreams, mad? but thanks!
I see a lot of kids whose parents are making a career out of the child's sport.
The trouble is, hermann, to play professional sport these days you have to prioritise it and in most sports you have to prioritise it at such an early age that inevitably at least some of the drive is going to have to come from the parents. For example, no one could become a professional tennis player unless they were playing regularly (ie 5-6 times a week) by 7 or 8, particularly girls. I’m certainly not saying this is a good thing, and it’s not what I would want for my DCs even if they were sufficiently talented, but it is the truth.

Fully agree that some (most?) parents have unrealistic expectations about their DCs’ sporting talent, but then some parents have unrealistic expectations for their DC’s academic or musical abilities too. If they’re realistic expectations, then it’s reasonable to prioritise them, is it not?

milla, if a very talented teenage boy or girl missed, say, a year of sport due to on and off growing pains that would almost certainly be the end of their dreams of playing sport at the highest level. This may be a matter of sublime indifference to you but would, I imagine, be quite upsetting for Freya’s DS. Does disagreeing with 1 of your posts over the past 3 years constitute being the nanny brigade? My apologies, I didn’t realise what a sensitive little soul you were.
Last edited by Rob Clark on Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now