Student Protest Marches - a couple of points!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MasterChief

Re: Student Protest Marches - a couple of points!

Post by MasterChief »

1)Yes
2)No
3)Possibly not but then they don't make it easy to understand
4)No
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

I hope this causes the downfall of the coalition, it is not right that people who lied and cheated their way into power should get away with it.[/quote]by looking for help

Well, Labour got away with it for long enough! If you get your wish Labour will be back . . . . And then you may as well emigrate, because this country won't be worth living in anymore. It's because of the mess they made of their too-many-years in power that we are in such dire straits now.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

1) Yes - marches should go ahead. Its called democracy. However, violence and vandelism is obviously wrong, and probably been caused by non-students. ie. those same thugs who go to football matches to cause violence.

2) Understanding proposals - I'm sure the NSU will have informed their members about the governemnt proposals so many uni students will be fully informed. I'm not so sure about younger students. (When I was at uni, one of my friends went on a march (poll tax/council tax?) just to experience this side of student life. Not sure whether she fully supported the march purpose though).

3) 13-16years is probably a bit young. Six form and above wil be fine.

I think the increased fees is a backwards step. My middle-income parents suffered with having to pay partial grants back in the 80's, so I can't imagine whats it going to be like when its our turn to pay in a few years time.
no_ball

Post by no_ball »

and to balance the argument, greedy folk in the upper tiers of the banking industry played their part in bringing this nation to its knees. Tax payer to their rescue though. All said and done, we have come through relatively un-scathed compared to Portugal, Greece, Eire to name the first few..
:roll:
KeepCool

Post by KeepCool »

. . . . religion and politics . . . . :lol:
KB

Post by KB »

What doesn't make sense to me is that the students who go to Uni & study hard & go on to well paid careers will not only be contributing to the economy by paying high rates of tax but will also be paying a graduate tax on top. Meanwhile those that spend their time at Uni dossing about & not bothering/ are not qualified to get a decent job will never pay!
And yes, I am aware that there will be those who study hard but still fail through no fault of their own to get a decent job - it is those who make no effort to contribute that bother me. In effect they are going to be supported by middle-income tax payers - many of whom never got the opportunity to go to University themselves.

Also - it is already hard enough for essential workers (teachers, NHS staff etc) to afford to live in the south-east, especially London, at the start of their careers. This is going to leave them with even less to live on so could further reduce the supply of talented graduates in these areas.

Rant over !
rosered100

Post by rosered100 »

KB wrote: Also - it is already hard enough for essential workers (teachers, NHS staff etc) to afford to live in the south-east, especially London, at the start of their careers. This is going to leave them with even less to live on so could further reduce the supply of talented graduates in these areas.

Rant over !
But the monthly repayments will be lower under these new proposals than the present system, so there will be more disposable income not less.
KB

Post by KB »

There was a chap on the news who had crunched the numbers who said that majority of graduates would be paying more and even vc didn't disagree with him. Maybe its that they pay less in the beginning but more over time ?
I also didn't understand the claim that mortgage lenders won't take the graduate tax into account when determining amounts to lend. Surely this is not sensible and could lead to some borrowing more than they can afford to pay back?
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

I totally agree with KB on this one...there are FAR too many people with good for nothing degrees out there, and therein lies the problem. In my mid 80's school leaving days, a small % of school leavers went to uni, now it is more the majority (correct me if I'm wrong!). I myself, had the grades, but not the funding..so got a job and worked my hard way up, supporting myself while studying for professional exams, which many graduates go on to do anyway, exchanging a small leg up the qualification ladder for their 3 years (or more) fully paid up study. Having interviewed, hired and fired more graduates than should ever have had the benefit of tax payers money, (excusing the minority few who really did warrant it!), I am totally in agreement with these proposals. Incidentally, having taken a career break 2 years ago, 11+ and newborn in tandem..I am now half way through a law degree..all at my own hard earned expense. So, I would hope that my own children have a similar ethos, expect nothing, and demand less, be that by protest march or otherwise.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

mm23292 wrote: Having interviewed, hired and fired more graduates than should ever have had the benefit of tax payers money, (excusing the minority few who really did warrant it!), I am totally in agreement with these proposals.
I'm sorry mm23292, but these proposals are not based academic merit and will not ensure that the country's graduates will be the brightest and the best. In fact, quite the opposite. Bright, working class and middle class children will be deterred by the high fees and amount of debt.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now