Can I dare use the A word?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bromley mum

Can I dare use the A word?

Post by bromley mum »

For those of you who think a sticky wicket is an English expression, England beat Australia by an innings and 71 runs! Dare we hope we will win the Ashes in Australia?
hermanmunster

Re: Can I dare use the A word?

Post by hermanmunster »

JUST WONDERFUL

Got that Australia??? .... AN INNINGS and 71 runs......!!!!!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

My brother has gone there to watch it. We will never hear the last of it if we don't win the Ashes! He took great delight in telling us all it was 31 deg and they were having a barbie! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Milla

Post by Milla »

oh I am SO excited by it all! Thrilling stuff. Whoever could claim to prefer Futbol over cricket. It has been sublime, perfect. Batters AND bowlers AND fielders. And the highlights are a particular joy when you know the outcome. Really cheered me up amid all this horrid cold.
chad

Post by chad »

Oh yes...... what wonderful cricket our boys are playing....just mention it with a small 'a' for the moment though...... :)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

My parents are off to Australia on the 28th. It's been my dad's lifelong dream to go there and watch the cricket. He loves the Aussies and refused to talk about England's victory. :lol:
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's fantastic - we are a very happy household - however, it's not doing a great deal for my sleep patterns or the bags under my eyes :lol: :lol: :lol:
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

DH was a ten pound Pom and grew up watching Ian Chappell. Needless to say cricket is big in this house! Go England!
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

As someone originally from a small island nation to the south east of Australia (one which is frequently overshadowed by their larger, brasher neighbour) I've not been disappointed by the result.

However, as a fairly(ish) impartial onlooker, I can't help but think of all the times England has managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory... and don't forget, an Aussie backed into a corner is one mean <insert appropriate word> so don't take it as a given that the Ashes are in English hands just yet.

I have been enjoying some of the Barmy Army songs. I did a quick review of the lyrics last night and some are really quite funny, although not necessarily appreciated by their recipient.
Belinda wrote:DH was a ten pound Pom and grew up watching Ian Chappell. Needless to say cricket is big in this house! Go England!
I can still remember the furore back in the early 80s when one of the Chappell brothers bowled underarm for the last ball in a one day match to avoid the possibility of losing. Didn't improve relationships across Tasman Sea at all!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Kentsussexborder,
You will be pleased to know, despite the English (really) not being able to tell the difference between a New Zealand and Australian accent I have learnt to always greet such southern hemisphere accents with a "Oh so you're from New Zealand". - Can't go wrong! :wink:

DH says it was Trevor Chappell ordered to do so by his brother Greg and it was an 'international incident'!