Go to navigation
It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:47 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:36 pm 

We are having a new kitchen put in the New Year (if you see my old one you'll agree its about time too!). I've almost decided on the kitchen furniture, handles, appliances, taps etc but can't decide which flooring to go for. What do you have and would you recommend it? What are the pros and cons of hving ceramic, porcelain or natural stone tiles?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:40 pm 

I personally wouldn't get limestone as if you drop the vinegar bottle you have a problem. We went for a fake natural look in a hard vinyl tile ( like Amti**); our long and short sighted friends seem to think it's the real thing, but it doesn't fool me. It scratches.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:16 am 

We had slate tiles. I loved them as they were all so different-looking. I suppose the main problem was laying them (I wasn't involved in it!) as they vary widely in their depth. Once down, they looked super. They were 'sold' to us that due to being natural they will be warm in winter and cold in summer. Cold all the time! Suprisingly, not everything broke if dropped on the tiles.
In our new house we have slate effect laminate. It's warmer and not riven!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:33 am 

short of putting the lovely underfloor heating under the natural stone :roll: , I would suggest the hard vinyl I am now sold on Karn***n similar to the am***o, but appears to be cheaper and the wood hard vinyl is beautiful...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:33 am 

How about old 11+ practice papers? :lol: :lol: You can get everyone to send in all their old papers, it'll be very cheap.

We have, what I originally thought, were natural stone tiles. But they are man made, so presume they are ceramic. They are very hard wearing, no need to worry if you spill anything on them (including hot fat), and what you use to clean them.

I have Amti** in my bathroom, I did consider it for the kitchen, but did worry what would happen if hot oil or bleach was spilled on it. How do you find it mystery?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:35 am 

We have the original quarry tiles laid when the house was build - and they are not good. Everything breaks when dropped on them and they are hard to keep looking good. We have vinyl floor tiles in the utility room and they are wonderful - easy clean and things bounce better.

Our kitchen also needs doing but will be a major job as some walls need to be knocked down. I would definately go the "fake" route, just make sure it is water tolerant!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:57 am 

doodles wrote:
Our kitchen also needs doing but will be a major job as some walls need to be knocked down.

I would love doing that! Think of anypne who has ever annoyed you, imagine it is them you are hitting and hey prest, the wall is no more!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:14 pm 

we have ceramic tiles in the kitchen cooking end and wood floor in the eating end. The tiles are brilliant for cleaning and very resilient. I wouldn;t go back to vinyl again. However, if I was starting from scratch I would fork out for underfloor heating. They are a torture implement in cold weather! I go leaping over them like those people you see walking on hot coals

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 pm 

Exercising whilst you cook Yoyo! Don't you find everything that you drop breaks though? I would love wood all the way through (in my dreamland) but worry about water and steam.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:31 pm 

Things do break, but not that much more than usual ( a jar of chutney was pretty spectacular)..
We had a flood in the kitchen ( fitter didn;t fit water softener properly :twisted: ), the water seeped under the wooden boards and they did lift. They don;t look too bad, but have gaps now. I love tiles ( have them in loo and bathroom too)