Benefit of your experience, please.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
doodles

Re: Benefit of your experience, please.

Post by doodles »

My Ds's drop quite a lot! Two weeks ago 8yo dropped a very large glass jar of golden syrup! It was so bad that it was one of those incidences where you just stand a laugh because you can't work out what to do!
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

hermanmunster wrote:short of putting the lovely underfloor heating under the natural stone :roll: , I would suggest the hard vinyl I am now sold on Karn***n similar to the am***o, but appears to be cheaper and the wood hard vinyl is beautiful...
We have the Karn***n flooring. It looks lovely, but is not suitable if you have pets. Our Lazy Old Hound walking on it has caused terrible scratch marks everywhere. I must admit I am disappointed with it, I thought it would be more resistant to everyday wear and tear and withstand the Lazy Old Hound's pattering paws!!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Muggle ! Interesting - we don't have any four legged residents here and floor is OK, must say I would be cheesed off if it got that badly damaged and would have thought it should be more resistant. The A*t*c* we had in an old house had survived the previous resident's hounds..!
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Another one for ceramic tiles and underfloor heating-lovely on your toes. Don't forget to use dark coloured grout in a kitchen as it will have everything spilt on it
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

we have terracotta colour large tiles with dark grouting and they are offset like bricks (ifykwim) hides a multitude of sins, certainly more than the house we moved into in 1990, white and grey vinyl. It needed cleaning at least every other day and still looked piggin'
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

How expensive is it to install under floor heating and more importantly, how expensive isit to run?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure and not sure! :oops: :oops:

Underfloor heating was in the house when we moved in.. needs redoing in the bathroom and doesn't look too pricey. Re cost of running - difficult to disentangle from the rest of the electrics in the house but I suppose the gas bill is lower than it would be - no radiators in the rooms where the UF heating is.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

We had our bathroom floor heating put in a couple of years ago.

Our bathroom measures about 15 foot by 9 foot and it was around £500 - just for the materials. The tiler placed the elements on the floor and tiled over them. The electrician then did his electric bits.

I wouldn't be without it, one of the best things we ever did. We don't have it on all the time, just for a couple of hours in the morning when we get up.

We were finding we only used it really during the autumn and spring, before the central heating was in full use. Once the central heating was on there was no need for it. However, since the really freezing weather we've had it on a little bit more and opened the doors for the air to circulate a bit more (I work on better safe than sorry principal).

We haven't really noticed an increase in the electricity bill, but at the same time as running the underfloor heating I had also co-incidentally stopped using the tumble dryer so much.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I really wish we had had it done. temp in our kitchen (cooking end) was 7 degrees just before Christmas, we've since dragged an electric oil fired radiator in to get temp up , reckon the underfloor would have been better!
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

The more I read your posts the more I want one! Ours is a kitchen diner so will have to think hard about the expense involved as it is a "biggish" space.

Now, the second big problem. Which worktop should I go for?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now