Improving A Child's Stamina

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
pheasantchick

Improving A Child's Stamina

Post by pheasantchick »

My eldest DS today said that his new year's resolution is to improve general fitness and to improve stamina. He's obviously takne to heart the fact that he needs more sleep than his younger brother, and tires more easily (Also more prone to tears etc). I think he is also concerned about starting secondery school, and the longer days that it may involve.

(Don't children make you feel guilty - all the above we've discussed in the past, and obviously DS has overheard/remembered it all and feels sensitive about it. He's been on the new WII fit more than me to to exercise!).

Any tips for improving stamina please? Although not a natural sportsman, he plays sport and often runs around playing outside with friends. Although he does play computer games, he is no couch potoato. Therefore, although he's not one of the fastest runners etc, its not a matter of lack of exercise or too much bad food as he does eat fairly healthily. ie. wholemeal bread etc

Could it be a food allergy that tires him? Or is he missing a vitamin? Or having too much of a certain food etc? Incidently, he doesn't go to bed late and is often asleep by 8.30pm, if not earlier (with his younger brother still awake at 9pm+!)

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!
bromley mum

Re: Improving A Child's Stamina

Post by bromley mum »

How about swimming? Its great all round excercise and improves stamina. Then once he has done his laps he can just play around in the water and have fun.
WorriedRuby

Post by WorriedRuby »

Bananas are good for improving stamina.
mystery

Post by mystery »

The more exercise you have the more sleep you need. And everyone has their own individual sleep needs. What do you mean by him tiring easily?
zorro

Post by zorro »

I would take him to his GP for a check up. He might be anaemic? Herman?
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Pheasant Chick

You could be talking about my own son! Emotional, not very sporty but plays and likes sport etc etc.

I think every child is different and you should not worry. My son is coping admirably with the leaving at 7.05 ( I not so admirably!) and the long bus journey there and back to school. It was pitch black when we left this morning!!!

Nothwithstanding his long days, he is clearly thriving at his new school and we came back glowing after a great Parent Evening last night.

He has been on fish oil supplements since the age of six ( he has a mild speech and language disorder which I feel has been helped immeasurably by these, (a controversial subject I know but it works for us) plus a daily jelly vitamin (just moved onto the 'young adults' from the kids version , how time is passing.....).

He is an early to bed but also an early to rise, but his general health is excellent, he hardly gets ill.

So in summary, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Remember the story of the tortoise and the hare :D

TM X
Ally

Post by Ally »

We also have worried in the past about our DS's stamina. He's in Y7. Generally fit apart from the odd cold, hardly ever misses any school due to illness. Yet this xmas hols he had problems shaking off a cold and was ill all holidays, but then we all had bad colds.

Good diet, tall and very very skinny( possibly underweight), but can't really make him eat any more. He's active and enjoys sports, currently trying to think of another sport for him to try which will suit his skinny build. Needs his sleep, weekdays always ready to go to bed by 8.30, but always has been an early riser. He has problems with his stamina and when playing his sunday football, doesn't seem to be able to last the practice plus a full hour match, but never out of breath in an asthma type of way.

Recently re-introduced vitamins to see if that helps, and may need to change his diet to try and build him up a bit. Swimming doesn't really work as being double jointed he always found lessons/lengths challenging.

In the next couple years his body shape might start to change and as a result hopefully this will help improve his stamina

Ally
bustwinks

Post by bustwinks »

Hi, I would deffiently try swimming, both my kids train at least 6 hours a week with a club....their stamina has improved tremondosly...even teachers have noticed an improvement in their work...especially good for my youngest DC, who would quite happily have spent all day in bed! :P
mystery

Post by mystery »

Still not sure what Pheasantchick means by "tires easily" or "lacks stamina" ......... but it could be as simple as needing more quick release calories inside him in the middle of strenuous activities. We have a mixed bag of children and the one that I consider a lardy lump relative to the other skinny sticks is better at keeping going at say hillwalking for several hours than one of the older skinny sticks. But give the skinny stick a jelly baby (not so good for the teeth I know) at intervals and they could bound around on the hills like a spaniel for ever, but feed her continously on wholemeal bread on the hills and she would stop eating, curl up and die.

The one with more "stamina" is I don't think, not half as fit as the other one - has never been as fast during fast spurts, and the different bodyshape is more likely indicative of future health problems than the skinny stick who lacks stamina when short of calories is likely to encounter.

So not sure with your son; if it's stamina during a long energetic sports session you are referring to has he tried - energy drink? glucose tablets? cereal bar? And a bigger breakfast - porridge or readybrek and some protein - cheese or meat or nuts?
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS1 (12) - larger build of the two is never going to win the sprint but has stamina and strength and plays a huge amount of sport, will sit down to an adult sized meal and is rarely ill. DS2 - tiny runs like the wind but needs constant refuelling because half a sandwich fills him up and he won't eat meat and he always looks pale. As long as your DS is physically fine according to Dr I would say plenty of sleep, exercise and good food and he will develop at his own rate.

Would also add that DS1 got very emotional in Yr6 - I think the thought of leaving his mates, pressure of 11+, getting school place, new school looming etc etc got the better of him at times without any of us realising it. This was really driven home about two weeks into new school in September when we realised that we had got the old child back and he was as happy as larry because the "stress" had been lifted/sorted. Maybe consider whether he is worrying about what is coming and perhaps this is making him a bit emotional.

Saying that 3 months down the line he is a full blown trainee teenager :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now