Advice re Orthodontists / braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Re: Advice re Orthodontists / braces

Post by Snowdrops »

Yes, I was thinking that.

She must have gotten her first teeth (and subsequent ones) through very early. I thought my son was young, having a full set at 10 months, but he kept hold of them for a while, being 12 before all the second set were through.
turtleglos

Post by turtleglos »

Both my ds's (9&10) have been told that they will need loads of work doing on their teeth as they have very small jaw's :( . Ds2 now has teeth coming through the roof of his mouth,yet we have been told that they cant do anything for at least a year :shock: . I like the sound of the flexible brace, I think I might ask about it before they start treatment, so if anyone has any information on it(name,brand etc) so I can research it first Please could you share it with me. I cannot afford to go private so will need to be very persuasive :wink: . Thanks. :D
Everyone is a genius, but if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will think it is stupid.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Yes she had, family failing it seems.
DD2 has lost all her baby teeth and just one gap left to be filled and she is 8.
Both of them had lost baby teeth when they left reception ( all the other kids looked cute and mine looked like Goofy in the school photos :oops: )
Their Grandma tells them they`ll have dentures by the time they`re 50

There is a plus side to her being young, her teeth have been manipulated by the brace rapidly so she will have only had it for 13 months when its removed. I suspect she will have to be very strict with her retainer or we risk them moving back a bit
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

DS2 is desperate to have them. He is rather vain and has now taken to smiling with his mouth closed. He has to wait for his last baby tooth to fall out first though so I guess there will be big celebrations when that finally happens. Ironically older brother with perfect set of teeth lost his early and doesn't even b other to look after them :roll: .

I had to have teeth extracted but didn't have to wear the full tracks, just the metal strip type. I do think it is worth it but my obviously useless orthodontist removed a canine tooth which is a real no no. Most people don't notice though and think i have nice teeth. I really wouldn't want to have to go through it all as an adult as has happened to some of my friends and family who didn't have the opportunity as youngsters. Plus they do have to pay.
Milla

Post by Milla »

14 year old has had to have 2 extractions (crowded mouth) and is still awaiting 2 to fall out, I think. He fears he's going to be the oldest brace-wearer in town and is well fed up. Keep telling him it WILL be worth it - and, frankly, anything which keeps him from snogging is fine by me.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Doesn't stop my DD! :roll:
scary mum
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Milla wrote:anything which keeps him from snogging is fine by me.

Dd has her appointment for half-term when we hope to find out she can finally go ahead with the fitting of her braces.

We started on the 'braces' journey about this time last year (but having known for a few years it would be needed).

Firstly being referred to the consultant at the hospital (or whatever he was called), having x-rays taken and measurements, then we had to wait for her last few teeth to fall out. Once all that happened the 'consultant' gave us the go ahead (ie: he sent her treatment plan to her dentist).

We then visited her dentist to be told she couldn't have it last year because his list was full. Admittedly she was on the reserve list (6th I believe, with an outside chance), so she wasn't too far down, but he advised it was more likely she wouldn't get them until this financial year.

We are hoping like crazy she can finally go ahead next month.

If your child is likely to need braces try and get them onto the dentists 'list' as soon as you can, by the time you get to the top you're child will hopefully be ready.
U400JB9

Post by U400JB9 »

Its not fair they have to wait....

We were lucky, new orthodontist in town the month we needed one. No hospital visits required, referral was directly from our dentist. It appears we`ve been very lucky..
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

turtleglos wrote: I like the sound of the flexible brace, I think I might ask about it before they start treatment, so if anyone has any information on it(name,brand etc) so I can research it first Please could you share it with me. I cannot afford to go private so will need to be very persuasive :wink: . Thanks. :D
My DD(13) has a full set of flexible braces on at the moment. They seem to be doing the job very well and causing no trouble. They are called Damon Braces. We paid for the entire treatment course up-front, I can't remember exactly what it cost, somewhere between one and two thousand I think. (edit: DH thinks about three thousand?) It's possible that similar "self ligating" braces might be available on the NHS.
Loopy
Milla

Post by Milla »

we're on the list, Snowdrops, we've been going to the orthodontist every 6 months for ages. There's no leapfrogging any system because they have to wait for the teeth to come out (2 we had out @£40 a pop, the others we have to wait for). Next visit is August and hopefully it will be all systems go. But we ARE in the system. I think :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now