Advice re Orthodontists / braces

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Gorgeous

Re: Advice re Orthodontists / braces

Post by Gorgeous »

And, no, they don't 'move' on their own unfortunately.
bromley mum

Post by bromley mum »

My DD has braces too. They hurt when they were put in and every time they are tightened, but nothing which can't be sorted by paracetamol. One thing to remember is to get the wax from the orthodontist. A small piece of the wax can be placed between the brace and the gum/cheek. This prevents the brace from cutting into the gum/cheek. My daughter swears by it. Not all practises stock it however. My DD bought some for her friend whose orthodontist didn't have any.
kentsussexborder

Post by kentsussexborder »

We're about to go through this with DS (11) who has an initial consultation tomorrow. Fortunately are going for NHS treatment (phew!) - if went private just the first consult would be £150!

I had the full train track brace when a teenager - back then they didn't fit them until 13/14 so much more stigma attached. From what I can remember it was an uncomfortable process in the fitting and then for two or three days after they were fitted it was painful to chew anything particularly hard - so don't give steak as a meal! Each time the braces were tightened it was uncomfortable for a day or two as well, but it quickly went.

I would agree to watch out for mouth ulcers from the inside of the cheek being cut/rubbed by the protuding metals bits.

Best of luck!
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Doodles - at my 8 years old last appointment, the dentist mentioned that he may possibly need braces, and he may be referred to an orthodentist after his next appointment in March.
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Doodles, does your DS suck his thumb during the day or just at night? We had a problem with our 8 year old DD, she can "control" her thumb sucking during the day (she doesnt want to be goofy so is very aware of not doing it) but at night it just "slips in" while she is asleep. We found the perfect solution in the chemist there is a product I think it is for corns or bunions or something which is a tube that is like a fabric plaster on the outside and has silicon on the inside (it is made by Sc**ll the comfortable clogg manufacturer) it is about 10 cm long we cut it into small pieces and slip it on DDs thumbs and fingers (if her thumb is not available at night she sucks her fingers) and it prevents her sucking her thumb at night
doodles

Post by doodles »

Thanks for that tip. I'll have a look for it. He tends to suck his thumb when he is reading, watching tv and sleeping.
sp

Post by sp »

I'm afraid I was cruel when DS was trying to stop sucking his thumb; I bought a pot of stuff supposed to stop nail biting (can't remember name but it was in S****D***). It was so horrible I had to let him eat his morning toast before dunking thumb in the pot, otherwise you could taste it!! Certainly did the job very quickly!
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Ithe paint on used to called Stop n Gro but in my grans day (she would be 100 next year) they used to call it 'bitter aloes'.

A mine of useless information, thats me :D
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

Ha ha - sp, I did exactly the same thing to DD1 when she was 6. Forcibly jammed her thumb into the little pot of nail biting stuff - she put it back in her mouth once and then never again!
sp

Post by sp »

Pixie Queen- I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I was waiting for some one to call Childline on my DS's behalf!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now