How much lunch money do you give your child?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rugbymum

How much lunch money do you give your child?

Post by Rugbymum »

I am in the middle of a debate with my DC about how much I should put on his lunch card and what he should be spending the money on as he either can't be bothered or does not have the time to queue for a hot meal. At the moment I am threatening him with packed lunches but really there isn't enough space in his bag for a lunch box.
Snowdrops

Re: How much lunch money do you give your child?

Post by Snowdrops »

My dd's school uses the Parentpay. You preload the account with money and they have a set limit of £4 per day. They can spend this how they wish. If dd doesn't have time to queue at lunch time for a hot meal (or doesn't want one) she will buy a sandwich/drink at break time.

We also give her £10 per month 'incidentals' which she spends as she chooses (she may miss the bus one evening and be hungry so will buy (say) a sausage roll to keep her going (we don't generally eat in the evening until 6.30 - 7.00pm). Or during the summer as they come out of school the ice-cream van is there and it's nice to cool down with an ice lolly as they walk for the bus.

I have to say, I'm surprised at how much dd can get for £4 at school. I'm very pleased with it - especially as we used to give her £5 every day in cash before they brought the system in :lol: :lol:
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Snowdrops wrote:I have to say, I'm surprised at how much dd can get for £4 at school. I'm very pleased with it - especially as we used to give her £5 every day in cash before they brought the system in
I'm feeling a bit stingy now! School handbook states £2.00 for a lunch, so I send DS in with £2.50.
BB248

Post by BB248 »

Mine get £10 a week, up to them how & when they spend it. Occassionally given another £1 for cake sale events etc. I'm definitely stingy, it seems!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

We have parentpay too. Before that I used to give them £3 a day - sometimes they spent it sometimes they didn't. DD seemed to be getting through it quite quickly so I put £50 on. Big mistake, she felt flush and bought 2 friends lunch too! Now I put on £20 a time and it lasts 2 weeks give or take.
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

We are £3 per day too. At first it was like a child in a candy store (!) and he was spending more than that. Either the novelty has now worn off or the threat of cheese sandwiches which he hates has sunk in and he sticks to it no problem.

I also try to ensure that he has some money on him in case he misses the bus home and has to get the train but again he's calmed down and not really spending it.
Looking for help

Post by Looking for help »

When I had four at school they used to get £10 per week, now only two are there I have raised this to £15 each (haha saving me £10 :D ) Apparently though according to the older ones they never had enough money for anything decent on a Friday , bless :lol: However they were quite good at raiding the fridge before they went out, so I was never worried they would starve :D With £15 each, both younger two have plenty money for school dinners, and often some left over -although they do bring fruit and juice with them.
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Well to be honest I give mine a fiver a week !
:shock: They also take in sandwiches.They would rather not and go to the canteen but I can't afford it.So they can supplement what they bring with a hot chocolate or a cake from the canteen each day. I have two there so that is still £40 a month plus bus fares at £20 quid a week.
Obviously reading this thread it would seem mine are telling the truthwhen they complain about how "little" they get.
Best we can do, so they will have to live with it!
rachag

Post by rachag »

DD is less than £10 per week - she is very prudent (OH's word) and has water rather than canned drinks (70p).
Often has 70p pasta. She does take chocolate bars from home as those are expensive at school - about 60 -70p. Luckily she knows that often can get, e.g 4 Crunchies for a pound.
marigold

Post by marigold »

Mine take in sandwiches and are allowed one lunch a week on a day of their choice, usually fitted around lunch time activities.
My son started by having a hot dinner every day but he was spending so much I just said " No ". As a compromise I do as Chelmsford Mum does, he can have an 80p piece of cake each day if he likes ( and he always does ! ).

Some of his friend seem to buy something at breakfast, at break time and at lunch, I fear for their waistlines as well as their parents bank accounts.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now