Children's Choices - How Would You Deal With It?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
solimum

Re: Children's Choices - How Would You Deal With It?

Post by solimum »

KB wrote:Plum -

Would suggest that you investigate the requirements for being a car designer - you may well find that Physics & Maths are as important as Art.
Have to agree there - DS1 was similarly keen on "design" , but was readily persuaded that engineering was the way to go, keeping his arty streak alive as well (thus GCSE Art, but A levels in Maths, Physics & Design/Tech plus the Year in Industry scheme). Pure Art/ design courses can be extremely competitive as well. Better to design things that work and are also stylish rather than style before function - it's the engineers (mechanical, civil, chemical etc) that actually make the ideas happen.
Rob Clark

Post by Rob Clark »

Also some of these jobs which sound terribly glamorous and involve jetting all round the world might seem quite fun when you're young (and I guess might even be fun for a few years) aren't very conducive to family life or a settled existence. And once you've seen one international hotel-cum-'conferencing-suite', frankly you've seen them all.
I would have loved to be a journalist!
mystery, it's vastly overrated a lot of the time, believe me. I can spend 2 hours on a train, wait around for a further 2 hours, get 20 minutes with Wayne Rooney (for example) telling me he's happy with how he's playing but he's going to tak each game as it comes, then 2 hours home again and the rest of the day trying to turn his dozen or so words into an article :lol: The only reason most of us are any good at writing is because we spend so many hours reading other people's stuff while waiting to get our interview!

DS is rather good at art and wants to go to art school and be a car designer (he loves Top Gear!). And as for being a car designer - most people only actually design bits of the insides such as the knobs and cup holders!
plum, I've spent most of the last year working with Ferrari and other Formula One teams (so not as much fun as that sounds) and I have to reiterate what others have already said: 90% of car designers are engineers by trade - Manchester University does a very highly thought-of aerospace engineering course, I gather. Unless of course your DS wants to be an interior designer, which is altogether different :D
Waiting_For_Godot

Post by Waiting_For_Godot »

I am positively discouraging my boys from ever going into medicine or law as I think the hours are too long and it can be a very stressful career. I tried to even discourage my sister from studying medicine but she is finishing her fifth year now. Watchiing her go through uni, let alone starting the job properly has confirmed to me that I wouldn't want my boys going down that route. I have every admiration for doctors but I want my boys to have a life! I never see my sister, she is always working and she never sees anyone! :(

I think DS2 will probably join the military so if that does happen I will try and encourage him into an academic field within the military so he is at less risk. In saying that, now uni fees are rising I may encourage both boys to do their degrees through the military. DS1 could be in Intelligence and DS2 could be a dentist! :wink:
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Rob you really do lead such an exciting life :) .

Parents can go too far. This thread reminds me of a remarkable young man I knew at university. He said he would enter the church. This surprised me, since insofar as I could tell he did not believe in God. But he said he had no choice. It was decided. The first son would inherit the estate, the second son would join the army and the third son would enter the church.

He did indeed enter the church, where for many years he led a very colourful career, until after a time spent as a guest of Her Majesty he was eventually defrocked in 2003.

We have not kept in touch, but somehow I suspect that he regrets nothing :) .
Loopy
doodles

Post by doodles »

It has always been our philosophy to educate our children to the best of our ability and their ability - this will give them the tools to choose what they want to do. If they want to be the best educated dustmen and windowcleaners in town then it is their choice. I had the high powered job in the city and hated most of my 15 years there :? I now love my early years career.

DS1 currently wants to be a professional rugby player in France and if not a restaurant critic. DS2 is undecided.
Plum

Post by Plum »

KB wrote:Plum -
Would suggest that you investigate the requirements for being a car designer - you may well find that Physics & Maths are as important as Art..
Absolutely agree and they are subjects that can lead in many directions which is why we don't discourage DS!

On another note, most of the people I know fell into their careers rather than pursued a particular career from a young age. Even those that studied for a particular profession have often ended up doing some different but not always related to where they started off. Also, it never ceases to amaze just how many different types of jobs there are....
doodles

Post by doodles »

[quote="Plum. Also, it never ceases to amaze just how many different types of jobs there are....[/quote]

I know, just wish I had more info at 18........
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

...................... and most of the very interesting jobs no-one's ever heard of.

I'm always incredulous when I hear of really obscure jobs and wonder how on earth people know about them to become 'whatever it is'.

I think I shall campaign for an openess to job titles and specifications, which is available to all and you can search it to whet your appetite. I envisage a website which holds the information on data base and is seachable either by a seach engine or scrolled through by job title.

Now then, anyone up for the job .............. Programmer? :lol: :lol: :lol:
asdguest

Post by asdguest »

It helps to have some some aim whilst at school but is important to keep options open. There are so many careers, and I'm often amazed when reading Uni prospectuses at the choices on offer. How about 'Fire and Explosion' at Leeds!

At my daughter's school they did one of those assessments to see what career would suit your skill set.

She came out with ' religious leader (e.g. Pope)'. As she is now a med student I sometimes wonder if she thinks she can go one better, as per the old joke,

'What's the difference between God and a surgeon?..................God doesn't think he's a surgeon'
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

asdguest wrote:
'What's the difference between God and a surgeon?..................God doesn't think he's a surgeon'
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

promise I won't tell the surgeon who has just gone to make the coffee......!!

Remind her of the one I use quite often:

"What is the definition of an alcoholic? - someone who drinks more than their doctor!!"
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now