How late do you let your DC stay out?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Milla

Re: How late do you let your DC stay out?

Post by Milla »

if the host parents are even there ... my friend's daughters (y10) went to a party and the parents absented themselves, returning at midnight. The girls were asked to take vodka ...
zorro

Post by zorro »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
DS went to a 14 yr old's birthday party recently, there were 5 boys and 5 girls from their school and the parents went out for a meal!! Kids were left ' in the charge' of the birthday boy's 16yr old brother and his friend!!
And they have the most beautiful house! :shock:
It was all perfectly innocent , pizza , PS3 games and music - but I think it might have been a different story at 16!
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

One of the girls in my DDs year (9) has been hospitalized through alcohol and I think it might have happened when she was in Y8 and that is not the only :shock: that has gone on. Now I do believe that you can do the peer pressure chat and all that and at the moment I think I would trust DD1 but DD2 (Y7) will be a nightmare I can tell. :roll:
tense

Post by tense »

An update: this party did provide an opportunity for my DD & I to have a good chat about my worries, so thanks very much for your suggestions on that! Sadly, I was right to be worried. Many of my DD's friends are drinking regularly - some even with alcohol provided by their parents (at 13/14!! - on the rather dubious justification that then you know what they're drinking :shock: ).

My DD did say she would be too tired to stay to the end of the party (1.30am) so I suggested picking her up between 11-11.30pm. She went for 11.30pm which I was happy with. In the event, she rang me at 10pm to say the party had got out of control & the parents (thankfully present) had told everyone to leave.

I feel really sad for my DD - she said she spent the last hour looking round for someone she knew to talk to who wasn't drunk. But at the same time, she cannot see herself not being friends with this group she has hung around with for the last two years. :(
Chelmsford mum

Post by Chelmsford mum »

Better she finds out and you have too now.
Sadly I too know girls whose parents supply alcohol at the tender age of 13/14.

Be proud of your daughter though and be sure to tell her. :D
marigold

Post by marigold »

When my eldest daughter ( now17 ) was in year 9 she was invited to a 14th birthday party. At 9.30 she phoned us in a panic as the mother was giving everyone Bacardi Breezers and she was frightened so my husband went to collect her. Yesterday , the girl whose party it was announced her pregnancy on Facebook. Say no more.
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote: Yesterday , the girl whose party it was announced her pregnancy on Facebook. Say no more.
:lol: :lol:
mad?
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

So glad it worked out OK in the end,tense. You must be very proud of your dd!!!

We have the same dilemma this Friday, with dd being invited to a party some miles away. We have yet to have 'the talk'.
mum23*

Post by mum23* »

Tense, thanks for updating, I was really interested to see what happened and I am glad your DD did you proud. A few weeks ago my DD1 (y9) was invited to a sleepover but the girls were planning to watch a horror film and my DD hates them and has had nightmares from things shown to her(at school :shock: ) by her peers on the school computer. We had a chat and in the end she decided it was better for her not to go because she would not be able to say no or would be seen as a wimp etc I hate horror films too and have never enjoyed watching them so I can understand. It is so hard isn't it? Turned out the sleepover was a disaster and the girls there fell out!! My DD was glad she didn't go!

As for the party...ooh the poor parents what a nightmare!! Do you think people turned up that shouldn't have been there? as that seems to be a problem with party info posted online. The booze thing is bound to happen but I really do think that 13-15 is just too young to start that sneaking a drink thing. We all know it is a fact of teen life but it is just dangerous at that age and I want my DCs to be free to be children for as long as possible. I think quite afew of our DCs feel the same so well done to you and your DD for how you both dealt with it. I think your DD will be really glad you were there for her and had the chat with her. These teen years are harder than the baby stage!!!

btw That mum doling out Breezers must be an idiot and I feel sorry for the girl who is now pregnant.

snowdrops keep us posted, it is so helpful to see how others negotiate these situations.
tense

Post by tense »

I am very proud of my DD :D The problems weren't caused by gatecrashers but some things got broken (accidentally through alcohol induced stupidity).

But funny that you should mention horror films Mum23*. Yesterday I picked up my DD & two friends - her friends were chatting about what horror films they'd watched recently :shock: Even my DH said the titles mentioned were gross. My DD teases me that I want to keep her in a bubble. Sometimes I wish I could!

Good luck with your chat Snowdrops!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now