Family History

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MasterChief

Re: Family History

Post by MasterChief »

With my family, I found the biggest problem was the lack of imagination in naming children. Hence when a family have 10 children and each of those then have a son named Henry within 5 years of each other and all live within a 10 mile radius...well you get the picture. Add to that the relative fluidity with birthdates on various census' forms and it got quite interesting!
Just waiting for the next set of census results to come out.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Next census not out until 2011 unless they can do another early access deal.

I know the problem re names etc - bliss when you get some really unusual names passed on for generations ... so easy to find and follow
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

2Girlsmum wrote: Only yesterday I spoke to a retired colonel from a Highlanders Museum in Inverness in persuit of the story behind my aunt-in-law's father, who died in WW1.

have yet to work on the Irish records :)
Ha, I haven't even bothered with my Irish side! My Irish side 'came over' between 1799 and 1841 (the first time I pick them up on the census). As you'll know, so many records from Ireland have been destroyed over the years it's heart breaking to even think about. I expect I'll get around to that side one day.

Have you got the MIC for the WWI soldier? Have you looked for his records (most of them were destroyed too). Have you been on the Great War Forum? There are so many experts on there (and I mean academics, not just like us who do it for a hobby. Have you managed to get the war diaries?

I love the Scottish records, they give so much more detail - but they are more expensive!

The replicating of names is very common. With the Scottish, there is a set naming pattern (as with the English) but also the mother's maiden name is used as a second name so it's very easy to know who to look for!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

As we know, the English (including Welsh and Isle of Man and Channel Islands) census for 1911 is already available (the summary books are also available on Ancestry now).

The Scottish one will NOT be available early. They have already stated they will not go back on their word and publish it earlier than originally promised (too right in my opinion too!).
Floss

Post by Floss »

I've struggled alot with my Irish side, my dad was born in Glasgow but his father was from Ireland, the family moved over to Glasgow around 1892, even with a pretty rare surname like mine - McIlduff - its been hard going :D

As for the scottish naming pattern you can usually figure out which ones 'belong to you' My dad and 3 of his cousins all had the same first and middle names !
2Girlsmum

Post by 2Girlsmum »

Familysearch.org have patchy Irish records on their website, and a reasonable attempt at the UK ones for free. They are the LDS (Mormon) search databases.

My MIL's cousin, who lives in Dublin spent 2 years travelling around searching his tree. He managed to go quite a way back along some lines, and discovered that he was related to the armourer of Edward the Bruce (Robert's brother) who came to conquer Ireland. I'm not sure that's a good thing :roll:
MasterChief

Post by MasterChief »

Snowdrops wrote:As we know, the English (including Welsh and Isle of Man and Channel Islands) census for 1911 is already available (the summary books are also available on Ancestry now).

The Scottish one will NOT be available early. They have already stated they will not go back on their word and publish it earlier than originally promised (too right in my opinion too!).
I hadn't realized the 1911 census was available yet. I assumed it would be released in April. Not that it is going to add much since we are virtually within living memory for some branches of the family.
"We've got a date with Destiny and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there was an FOI case I think and it came out in 2008, only bit covered up is any disability
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

My brother in law traced my family back to 14something

I suppose I should have guessed we were a dodgy lot from the fact that my father has a seal with the family crest..3 dice ...all sixes.

One ancestor was the keeper of Queen Anne;s Bounty ( I prefer curly wurly) and another made a fortune around the time of the Hellfire Club, lending 'friends' money , calling in the debts when they were unable to pay then taking their land..

don;t mess with me wfg!
doodles

Post by doodles »

Really interested in looking into some of my family. I suppose as the older members leave us you realise how little you know. However, I am a bit confused by all the websites, there seems to be so many and some of them seem to be quite expensive. Which one do people use the most? Are there any good free ones to get you started before you make a commitment? Thx.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now