Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Chelmsford mum

Re: Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Post by Chelmsford mum »

scarlett wrote:I didn't watch the programme so I'm not really understanding this thread.Surely it didn't imply that if you are poor and live in certain areas, then you will never amount to anything ? :shock: People are people and there will always be those with "get up and go " ,those who are natural geniuses and those with supportive families...and of course those with no aspirations who want to laze around and waste their lives.That applies to people from every different group in society.

Whats wrong with being a dinner lady etc anyway ? Where would we be without them ?!! We all are small cogs in a big machine , you know ! and all as important as each other. :)

It's worth watching.Its main premise is that social mobility has decreased and it is harder now than it ever was to "break free" of poverty and low aspirations, and enter the professions.
Nothing wrong with dinnerladies at all ! I think the programme was just making the point that many poorer children do not believe that they could achieve more and sadly the stats seem to suggest they may be right.If you just follow the link and watch the opening 5 mins, you will get the gist of the stats.
Loopyloulou

Re: Who Gets the Best Jobs?

Post by Loopyloulou »

CM I'm surprised at you :wink: .

Marigold, I beseech you, think it possible you might be mistaken.

Mother's taxi driver was engaging in anti-social behaviour, not unlike smoking in a restaurant (are we really a tolerant society?). A clip over the ears by the local bobby and he is unlikely to repeat it. How do we deal with anti-social behaviour here? What are the consequences? Is it really better?

Women - consider this. In Iran there are no "lads magazines" (or worse). There are no smutty sports commentators. And even in Manchester bad muslims prey on our daughters, not on their own. Why not do you think?

As for religious freedom, Iranian Christians are perfectly free to practise their religion in Iran (it's true that foreigners cannot proselytize). There is even a Christian "MP". And I'm sure Iranian guesthouse owners are free to accept or reject guests as they think fit according to their own religious principles.

I hear mods approaching, but I am merely asking that people think.
Loopy