EarRing Aid?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
capers123

EarRing Aid?

Post by capers123 »

DD1 had her ears pierced 6 weeks ago, and had no problem with them - no swelling or infections.

Last night she removed the studs for the first time, cleaned them, then put them back in.

Or rather, put one back in. The other one just wouldn't go back in - she could feel it pressing the skin against the back of her ear but couldn't find the outlet hole. Much sobbing ensued.

We finally worked out that she can put it in from the back, so currently has the - at the front of her ear on one side, and I advised that she keeps it like that for another week to re-heal - and we'll buy some non-spikey-on-the-end-studs at the weekend. Whilst it may start a new fashion trend at school (there are some very eccentric girls at school), does anyone have any hints on how to get a - through the right way? No-one else in the house has pierced ears.

Ta.
Capers
moved

Re: EarRing Aid?

Post by moved »

This caused much stress in our house too. DD's jeweller took them out first time and showed her how to put them back in. Despite this she still struggled and I had to help that evening with a great deal of stress. We left them for another week and then had another go. DD is starting to get used to it now, but it has been 3 months and she still uses tape for PE.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I get that sometimes still (33 years on!), especially when I haven;t worn earrings for a few weeks. Opening the hole by inserting the s tud from back to front usually works, then gently try to put the s tud back in properly. Don;t force it though, just gentle pressure should be enough. Make sure hands and - are clean while the wound is still new. Cleaning the back of the ear lobe with dilute savlon or special piercing solution may also dislodge any "gunge" which may be blocking the hole.

Stick to gold earrings for the first few months, I still have to wear studs most of the time to keep the holes open
mystery

Post by mystery »

I have to get someone else to do it for one of my ears! It has always been this way. I think having thick lobes makes it harder. Also I think there may be some scar tissue that makes it easier to do in one direction than the other, and someone who can do it for you can see what they are doing, whereas just waving your hands randomly in the air is very tricky.
LandermereMum

Post by LandermereMum »

DD2 has pierced ears (18 months now) and during the first year it was often difficult getting one or other ear ring back in. She has quite thick ear lobes. In the end we gave up on the lotion and bought a bottle of surgical spirit. She put that on the front and back of her ear morning and night and it really seemed to help. I had no problems over 30 years ago but then at my school we were allowed to do PE with studs in.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I was also told to use surgical spirit when I had my ears pierced...and like lots of us it would seem...one of my ears is a bit dodgy...as well as putting it through the back to " break the seal "I was also told to pull the ear lobe down a bit when inserting. :)

Yoyo...make sure you keep those studs in ! I left mine out for a while and they closed up ! I then had to queue for 20 minutes at Claires acces with the 10 year olds to have them redone :oops: but at least i was offered a lollipop afterwards ! :lol:

Maybe those of us with problems should consider inserting those big black circles you see some boys wearing....you know, the ones which pull your lobe down to the shoulder....
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

33 years and 10 days after having them pierced and I still can;t go without studs for long..I must be an efficient healer!

edited to add: site accepts studs plural but not singly!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

The boys are sooooooo going to regret having those daft 'earings' put in. Just imagine, 30/40 years down the line and lots of little old men with big dangly drapes of skin haning from their ears. They'd need to be careful they didn't get wrapped around handles/brackets/other sticky outy things :lol: :lol:

Which brings us to tatoos on women :roll: :roll: :roll:
sp

Post by sp »

A Mum I know had a large tattoo done at the base of her back; seemed so out of character but each to their own. However I do keep thinking that one day she'll be an old lady with a big tattoo and in my mind it doesn't look good!!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

can't help thinking that if I had had a tiny goldfish tattooed in my 20's it would now resemble Moby Dick ( with wrinkles)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now