School Reports and Teacher Feedback

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

welbury

Re: School Reports and Teacher Feedback

Post by welbury »

Looking for help wrote:I have also just read your post welbury, and am flabbergasted you survived that kind of absolute torture :(
Yes, looking back now it's quite ridiculous what was considered acceptable.
I have to say though that the bit of paper showing your marks and placing in subjects, along with overall placing in the class was quite useful. Something along those lines would still be useful, as long as not made quite so public (or humiliating obviously). These days, the gushing you get when you happen to question DCs spelling or vocab just isn't helpful. Constructive feedback is what we need; tell it how it is, to parents, let us deal with communication to our children, if we even need to. They usually know how they are doing anyway. It's not the competition I'm looking for, more information on areas where we can help them improve if necessary.
scarlett

Re: School Reports and Teacher Feedback

Post by scarlett »

These days you would probably be under going counselling after treatment like that from school( I'm still choked up on your behalf....) but I agree that it can only be constructive and helpful if done in the right way.Whenever I'm told my children might be not up to scratch, I have a little sad moment, then its onwards and upwards and I rectify the problem.

My french teacher would make us read out in french and everyone would snigger if you sounded rubbish...I used to sit behind the biggest girl in the class and so would always be missed out...the teacher probably thought I was the cleaner when I walked out of the classroom because she never knew I was there during class.My maths teacher used to tell you infront of the rest of the class that you had to stay behind and that could only mean you scored 2 out of 10 in your homework.I remember crying in the bath every Sunday night.

This didn't help me.I feel a complete fool speaking french and feel I am rubbish at maths when I am neither.Still on the plus side I had a massive crush on my history teacher and now I am really interested in all things historical ( including my husband as I like to tell him !)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now