What's wrong with some parents these days ?!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scarlett

What's wrong with some parents these days ?!

Post by scarlett »

We took our family to the theatre last night for ds2 birthday. We were all really looking foward to the show ( Georges Marvellous Medicine ) but unfortunately there were some horrid children who spent most of the evening kicking our seats, hanging over our shoulders and at one point swiped some sweets from ds2 sweetie bag. :shock:

I was irritated and gave them steely stares which the parents ignored and dh did say " oh for goodness sake !" at one point but to no avail ! I'm now feeling a bit sad as ds2 has just announced that he told his whole class today his birthday treat was ruined !

What would you have done ?
ausvic

Re: What's wrong with some parents these days ?!

Post by ausvic »

How sad for your DS. I think that whatever you did the parents wouldn't care. Unfortunately there is a minority (or maybe majority) of parents who just don't care about anyone else and their children are going to grow up the same way. You (we) just have to hope that we have instilled good behaviour and manners in our children. I personally believe the lack of discipline in schools (showing my age here) is the problem with Britain today. There is no respect. If my child behaved badly in a cinema I would be mortified but maybe I am in the minority :(
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I'd like to think that I would have said something like, "Would you mind not doing that," but before that I definitely would have looked to see how scary the parents were.
chicko-mum

Post by chicko-mum »

ausvic wrote:How sad for your DS. I think that whatever you did the parents wouldn't care.
I agree. Although I'd love to tell these kids to pack it in, in reality I would probably react the same as you and do lots of glaring. If there are parents/adults there and the kids are not worried about their authority I can't see them taking much notice of me or anyone else. I'd tell my DC that I know they would never behave in that way and praise their good behaviour. I know this won't make it up to your DS, hope he still doesn't think the whole thing was too spoilt.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What a shame. I'm not sure there was anything you could have done as they probably wouldn't have listened to anyone.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

The sad thing is that we are too afraid these days to say anything for fear of repercussions ! dh is a rather big man ...but this man was a lot bigger and rather rough looking so we didn't want any problems on the way home ! The lady ushers who were standing near us should really have said something, but obviously didn't like to either. :(

Anyway, ds did enjoy the show and I've now agreed to having 2 of his friends sleep over at the weekend...so he better bloomin' well enjoy his birthday !!
doodles

Post by doodles »

It's not just children who can't behave! I've been shouted at/told off 3 times in the last 24 hours by some more mature men :oops:

1. Taking my dad for a scan I got my mobile out to switch it off and an old man obviously thought I was about to start using it and had a go at me for using my mobile (I wasn't) but mind you he did have a go at everybody else who did the same thing!

2. In the car park of said hospital I went round the car park and came nose to nose with second old man who got out of his car and walked over to tell me in no uncertain terms that I was going the wrong way as he had been driving his way round the car park for the last two years! The fact he was by a huge great pull in and could have pulled over......

3. Today an elderly relative was getting into my car and was taking a little time, it is a very narrow road and somebody came bombing down the road and I indicated for him to slow down..... he pulled up wound his window down and had a go at me..... he was a more mature man too.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
KS10

Post by KS10 »

but this man was a lot bigger and rather rough looking so we didn't want any problems on the way home !
Definitely wouldn't have said anything and not sure I would have glared either. :oops:
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Doodles........There must be something about you that's like a red rag to a bull when it comes to old men !

At a previous hospital, there was an old man who used to spend most of his day standing on a bend in the car park waving frantically to random people to slow down as they veered round the corner....last I saw of him he was being stretchered into A&E .............
doodles

Post by doodles »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now