G and T group for Year 6 - Too little, too late?

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
push-pull-mum

Re: G and T group for Year 6 - Too little, too late?

Post by push-pull-mum »

My sister did 'health days' with her daughter when she was getting ready for scholarship exams - the primary school (a selective by pricey postcode state school) knew what she was up to and didn't mind. They liked getting the credit for kids going to good Indies without having to put the work in themselves. I also know a fair few 'music' families who take their children out of school if they need to do more practice for an upcoming exam or scholarship audition.

My DCren's school has attendance issues which has brought it to the notice of Ofsted (owing largely to the number of children going back to their country of origin for up to 6 weeks) and a lot of pressure is applied to have perfect attendance (including a termly 'fun outing' for the class who have the fewest absents)

Apparently the reason why schools are supposed to be strict about attendance isn't just academic - it's a 'safeguarding' issue (DCren's school have been told that it is 'safeguarding' they could fail their next Ofsted on is attendance doesn't improve.) I would recommend that 'health days' are used sparingly and parents make sure that the children enjoy them - taking a child out of school just to cram for a test is little better than the old days when children were taken out of school to 'keep house' or work on the land.
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Now there's a thought.....my allotment is in a right mess ......
push-pull-mum

Post by push-pull-mum »

push-pull-mum wrote: - taking a child out of school just to cram for a test is little better than the old days when children were taken out of school to 'keep house' or work on the land.
scarlett wrote:Now there's a thought.....my allotment is in a right mess ......
:lol: :lol: Just don't tell the school you got the idea from me! Although, coming to think of it - DD would probably prefer pushing a hoover round at home to some of the endless SATS revision at school .... :?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

:lol:

The allotments are near the school so I might be rumbled if my child is spotted carrying a spade over their shoulder !!!
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

scarlett wrote::lol:

The allotments are near the school so I might be rumbled if my child is spotted carrying a spade over their shoulder !!!
I wouldn't worry- outdoor learning is all the rage these days! :wink:
Marylou
Freya

Post by Freya »

the old days when children were taken out of school to 'keep house' or work on the land.
Not so 'old days'. Here in Wales it's quite normal for primary and secondary children to not be in school for days at a time when their families are lambing and it's all hands on deck.
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wyiCN5R/weight.png[/img]
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

DD has brought home a list of events for "enrichment week" at her GS... these involve (the vast majority at some cost, but apparently have an academic purpose :roll: ):

Disneyland Paris
London Theatre trip
Trip to Stratford for drama workshops
Italian Cooking
Golf
Climbing
various adventure days
Lightwater Valley (good for engineering and physics apparently :roll: :wink: )

3 months notice for families of possible significant expenditure or get behind to play netball... I see some health days coming on
mystery

Post by mystery »

Ha, well at least you can write you own "health notes".

Disneyland Paris sounds a bit ridiculous. What's that supposed to be about?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Goodness knows Mystery! -
maybe ....

- French ? :roll: (ahem butnot limited to those doing french..),

- business studies ? hmmm

- physics ???

CWT??
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

Disneyland Paris is for Textiles......they all have to make themselves an outfit to blend in..................
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now